Only urate poop

Grit does not come in feed. You need to either allow chickens to have free range time in gravely soil or buy granite grit for them. Seeds cannot be properly digested without grit whereas crumbles may be okay. Anything with fiber requires grit, especially lettuce and grass and fruit.

I have a rooster with a leg wound that is very slow in healing. I'm using a combination of aloe, a few drops of vitamin E, a squirt of antibiotic ointment and the powder from a turmeric capsule all mixed together and pasted onto his wound. It's supposed to be a good formula for hard to heal wounds.

@azygous, my bad. I should’ve worded that better. I sprinkle grit in their feed bowl every morning. I also provide a separate bowl for them to eat from but since Eddie does not have access to it (because she can’t walk) I do sprinkle some in the feed.
Haven’t you been doing that treatment for Tootsie for a week+ now? Do you see any improvement?

@Eggcessive i have been cleaning it three times a day, saline rinse, betadine, then neosporin or vetericyn. She still has pus coming out.

@Wyorp Rock, the stuff that ‘popped out’ did look like fat. The pus came before and I wiped it up before I could take a picture. I am definitely curious as to what the stuff was though, it would make sense it was pus.

So the reason why I am concerned is the pus that comes out is cloudy and slightly yellow.

Eddie had a breast blister that had tons of pus. It finally stopped but eventually I felt her keel bone feel odd and that the bone was growing outwards. The vet, after seeing the X-ray a few days ago, felt like Eddie somehow had bacteria eating away at her keel bone and her body fought it off and the bone grew over, but did not grow correctly. Eddie also has similar pus consistency that Dev is having.

^that is mainly why I am concerned. Maybe Dev could’ve picked up the same bacteria that Eddie had and is fighting off bacteria right now. @azygous, I feel like you brought up that it could be a staph infection. Either way, just so I have it on hand, which antibiotic would be best to treat something like this?
The pus color is worrying me.

And thank you for responding friends :hugsit means a lot.

I will clean her wound less. And I’m sorry to hear that, I know you are doing your best :hugs

It’s hard to see but even more pus has come out of it. I’m going to try antibiotics just because cleaning it has not helped. Which antibiotic is best for something like this? Could it be staph?

Attachments

• DA3CD025-4330-4953-BF0E-ABA18410AF0F.jpeg
    DA3CD025-4330-4953-BF0E-ABA18410AF0F.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 3
Staph is a very common bacteria that originates from outside the body. It needs an entry point, though, a cut or ulcer. Then there are bacteria that originate from inside the body. They can cause an actual ulcer or lesion. Staph does not cause the ulcer or lesion. The ulcer or lesion has to be there first in order for staph to take hold.

So, we can't know which bacterium is causing the pus without a pathology test on the pus. That's called a PCR test. If you have any allowance saved up, that would be a splendid idea. It's about time we find out what is behind these breast blisters. It could be staph or it could be something else.

How that works is you swab the blister, coating the swab with the cells in the pus. Then you send the sample to the lab and ask them to test for what bacterium is present in pathological numbers, meaning high enough count to make these tissues sick. Ask your most trusted vet how to get this test done.

You've already tried several antibiotics on these hens blisters. Nothing has worked, perhaps because you aren't using the best antibiotic to target the bacterium. Know what bacterium is in the blisters will let you select the correct antibiotic to target the cell walls to kill it. Using antibiotics will nilly risks not only not killing the bacteria but making the chickens resistant to these antibiotics.

Thinking back on both hens, I have yet to use antibiotics for their breast blisters. I may have given them antibiotics when they had breast blisters but they were not oozing during that time.
It could possibly be staph then, Devs blister has been open before the pus started to something could have entered.

I don’t think another vet visit is in order right now but I will call them to see their options.

Would amoxicillin be a good one to use?

Back
Top Bottom