Oops, 17% protein feed?

Kalmback has "flock maker" that's 20%. It comes in crumble too that I have to have for the silkies. I mix that half and half with their layer feed so the roosters aren't getting so much calcium, and they all are getting a little bit more protein.

It's not sold around here so I wait for sales on Chewy.

I put out oyster shell for the hens. Oddly, the old rooster eats more of that than they do. Must need it for his old bones I guess.

I'd honestly return it if you haven't opened it, it likely won't hurt them but 17% is a little low. Mealworms won't do much to boost protein but tuna or meat will.
I opened it and some is already mixed with their last bit of crumbles. I can give tuna as well. Thanks!
Kalmback has "flock maker" that's 20%. It comes in crumble too that I have to have for the silkies. I mix that half and half with their layer feed so the roosters aren't getting so much calcium, and they all are getting a little bit more protein.

I looked for that brand as I read about it on here, no luck. I should’ve paid more attention to the protein label. I just figured “all flock” was all about the same. This bag will last awhile I bet (6 chicks) it’s 40 pounds!! They won’t argue with protein supplements I bet. Tuna, worms, eggs etc. they “semi” free range all day too. Thank you!

I put out oyster shell for the hens. Oddly, the old rooster eats more of that than they do. Must need it for his old bones I guess.
That's what I feed my girls, only I feed the pellets as I hate the mess and waste of crumbles. Chewy sells it if you choose to try that

I opened it and some is already mixed with their last bit of crumbles. I can give tuna as well. Thanks!

I looked for that brand as I read about it on here, no luck. I should’ve paid more attention to the protein label. I just figured “all flock” was all about the same. This bag will last awhile I bet (6 chicks) it’s 40 pounds!! They won’t argue with protein supplements I bet. Tuna, worms, eggs etc. they “semi” free range all day too. Thank you!
Mealworms are so high in protein, that some looked at why humans should eat them. 🤢

They are also high in fat though, so I go pretty sparingly with them.

I'd personally use 17% without a problem, but I know a lot of folks prefer higher protein. Your birds might grow a little slower, or not get as large, but I don't find that to be a big problem. I don't give out a lot of treats though to avoid diluting down protein further.

Once I use up my starter feed I'll be feeding 17% grower + 18% all flock.

Back
Top Bottom