Oops chicken marh......

The chicken math calculator says you don't count roosters, chicks, laying hens, meat birds, chickens with names or chickens that are for sale. Per those parameters, I only have one chicken. We go through 50-60 lbs of layer feed a week for all those subtracted chickens, though, plus free ranging on 6 acres of pasture grass.
Hmm, sounds like your lonely hen needs a few friends... :lau

That's how I got to this point. My wife cannot walk by the chick bins at the feed store without feeling sorry for that one lonely chick standing by itself... and, of course, it needs friends...
I told my hubby one day at tractor supply that the chicks were yelling "don't leave me here!!!" They kinda was chirping louder when we got to the checkout so I used that against him... hehehe

Chicken math, indeed.

I said I wanted 2. Hub agreed. I ordered 3 (what could I do -- minimum orders!). One turned out to be a male. So I ordered 2 more (found someone to split the order this time); 2 is not a good flock number, and you can't order just 1. Then my boy was given an egg, and, of course, he wanted to try to hatch it. I never thought it would hatch, but it did.

So my 2 is 5 (4 if the hatchling turns out to be a boy, although I could possibly have a house roo. . .)

A friend gave us 6 pekin ducks, then I found an ad on craigslist for runner ducks and we got 18 of those. Then we butchered two pekin drakes since we were concerned about over mating. We added 14 guinea keets, then got 16 chicks (they were $1 per, couldn't resist!). One of those chicks died. Then we got a batch of broiler chicks for meat and just yesterday picked up two geese! All of this in a span of about 4 months 😉

Hahaha, chicken math. I told my hubby I wanted six chickens. Decided to hatch some, because why not??? Hatched 25 chicks. Now... I was good, and gave some to my cousin.. but still ended up with 15...

Back
Top Bottom