Opal Legbar - Worth the price?

Party_Chicken

Crowing
Feb 1, 2023
Anywhere with chickens
My Coop
My Coop
I was looking at Meyer hatchery and I came across their opal Legbars I instantly knew I had to have one but 91 dollars! That’s a lot even for a rare breed. The crazy thing is I’m considering paying for it. I want to no if it’s worth the price.

I have spent a lot on a single chick because I like the variety in my flock. The Legbar is next on my list as I still don't have a blue egg in my rainbow basket. That being said I would pay that much. I want a frost white as well. Check out My Pet Chicken.

Well IMO having bragging rights over a chicken is sort of pointless. Not to mention, you can't brag about a bird that doesn't have good quality. Perfect example, the ayam cemani. Went from being a very rare and expensive breed to a semi-rare and dare I say common breed. The breeders that are devoted to producing good quality stock are few and far between. That's not something to be proud of, IMO

It's only worth the price if it's worth the price to you. My ketwas were about 70 dollars a piece. Most people here would call it an idiotic waste of money, but it wasn't a waste to me

My point exactly. Chicken keeping is such a niche thing that you can't really brag about it. For someone spending 200 euros on a pair is the best thing they could do, but tell it to your non-keeper friend and they'll laugh with you for an eternity. So don't get a bird/breed just because you want to brag about it, but because you like the breed, or if it matches your needs and wants

I think it's worth it if the bird is good quality. Unfortunately hatchery's are usually poor quality birds. You could see if other hatchery's are selling cheaper if you just want to say you have one.

My point exactly. Chicken keeping is such a niche thing that you can't really brag about it. For someone spending 200 euros on a pair is the best thing they could do, but tell it to your non-keeper friend and they'll laugh with you for an eternity. So don't get a bird/breed just because you want to brag about it, but because you like the breed, or if it matches your needs and wants
Well I guess you’re right they do check a lot of my boxes plus it lays blue eggs. The breed also resembles one of my hens I lost a few months ago. I’m going to go for it.

Back
Top Bottom