Opal Legbar - Worth the price?

Definitely depends on if its worth it to you! I mean if that's the only place you can find them and you really want one then it could be worth it to you! I've gotten chicks from Meyers and their birds are decent quality, I love them all. Show quality? No. Pretty representative of the breed and adorable? I'd say so! I would probably look around first to just to see your options!
I don't show chickens, I just love having pretty birds in my flock so I have spent $42 on a day old pullet chick... purebred Ameraucana. Crazy to some people, especially since I just keep chickens as a hobby, but to me it was worth it and she's so lovely. Although now I'm just hatching out the more rare breeds and colors of breeds that I want since it's cheaper and I just re-home the roosters.

It's only worth the price if it's worth the price to you. My ketwas were about 70 dollars a piece. Most people here would call it an idiotic waste of money, but it wasn't a waste to me
I spent 120 on some pigeons (including shipping) and they were a disappointment. They were the right breed but they didn’t have my favorite breed trait, black eyes. 😶
But I never saw a picture of them, so of course, that is what I get. Never buying shipped birds again. 😅 (watch me eat crow)
Also, I thought Ameraucanas were the it breed for me but they turned out to be a disappointment when I got them. I kind of got my nice d’Anvers by accident and I only paid like 35 or so each for young adult birds.
I was trying to get a cockerel to go with my brother’s pullet (since he owned them) and I got a blue quail pullet since I thought it would be good for my blue d’Anvers project. That would have been a terrible idea.

So my advice is, you can get them if you want but expect disappointment.
My point exactly. Chicken keeping is such a niche thing that you can't really brag about it. For someone spending 200 euros on a pair is the best thing they could do, but tell it to your non-keeper friend and they'll laugh with you for an eternity. So don't get a bird/breed just because you want to brag about it, but because you like the breed, or if it matches your needs and wants

I mean, showing the breed is synonymous with bragging rights so I think it is a valid reason, lol.
But if you can’t show it then no one is going to appreciate them except for maybe bycers.

I spent 120 on some pigeons (including shipping) and they were a disappointment. They were the right breed but they didn’t have my favorite breed trait, black eyes. 😶
But I never saw a picture of them, so of course, that is what I get. Never buying shipped birds again. 😅 (watch me eat crow)
Also, I thought Ameraucanas were the it breed for me but they turned out to be a disappointment when I got them. I kind of got my nice d’Anvers by accident and I only paid like 35 or so each for young adult birds.
I was trying to get a cockerel to go with my brother’s pullet (since he owned them) and I got a blue quail pullet since I thought it would be good for my blue d’Anvers project. That would have been a terrible idea.

So my advice is, you can get them if you want but expect disappointment.

I mean, showing the breed is synonymous with bragging rights so I think it is a valid reason, lol.
But if you can’t show it then no one is going to appreciate them except for maybe bycers.

Showing isn't exactly bragging rights though. You show your stock so that they can be evaluated by an unbiased party, to prove that they are of good quality. IMO, if you've put that much work into a bird, its worth the bragging. I dont think the same can be said in this case

I was looking at Meyer hatchery and I came across their opal Legbars I instantly knew I had to have one but 91 dollars! That’s a lot even for a rare breed. The crazy thing is I’m considering paying for it. I want to no if it’s worth the price.
I’m about to get an Opal Legbar to go with my cream Legbar hen . I have cream legbar/RIR eggs ready to hatch soon

I live in the gainesboro tn area so if your ever interested still I’d sell you some but not even close to that.

Back
Top Bottom