Opal Old English Games on Eggbid, I have questions :)

Every time an OEGB breeder get an unexpected result from a mating they immediately name it & start selling it as a new variety. Opal is not a variety recognized by the APA or the ABA.

True it is not recognized but like all the colors it has to get a following and more breeders to get good birds that can win. I know the guy and have been to his place (he also raises pigeons). He is legit. He has been in the business and shown for a very long time. He has done his research and checked the breeding and yes it breeds true. I got some blacks from him that should carry the gene...no eggs yet. If you saw the birds in person you would realize that they are truely a different color...now...where it came from and how? that could be a fun debate...a true mutation?

First I would like to thank Teach97 for his post and supporting me, I have been breeding and showing this color for 5 years during this time I have asked many judges and breeders in person and online what color this might be only 1 man said he seen a pair that looked simular also I have had some say that they are chocolate sports ( the dun gene ) but I have proved that is not so, some others have indicated it is Self blue ( lavender ) but it is not showing this either. 5 years ago When I bred a black cock (I aquired off EggBid )to his Black daughters I hatched 15 chicks 2 was diferent colored than the other black chicks the 2 was white with grey/black heads, as it turned out 1 male 1 female I posted these on the Old English Game Breeders site as strange color I had many comments on them, I began testing to see if they would breed true, It did then the next year I started testing how it affected other colors and I am still testing. I needed a name to show this color varity as, many people had sugestions and I picked blue pyles and posted again on OEGB as blue pyles, another member pointed out that pyle indicated that was a duckwing pattern and this is a crowwing pattern so I was back to finding a name that suted the varity I decided simple is always best so I named them Opal. I have had many ask about getting some, last year I produced enough to let some go and some of these are the ones that I put on Eggbid. I have tested so far Black, Blue sport, Blue andalusion,Dom White and this year black breasted red. I would be very intrested in any imput on this color. I have bred pigeons for 40 + years and understand a fair amount of genetics of pigeons but less of chicken genetics but am learning, I have bred chickens for around 10 years. I am going to try to get Opal recognized as a recognized OEGB variety I have had great response from all that see this color and think it will only take a few more years .

Welcome Opal OE! We can sure use your experise in raising Opals.
frow.gif

INTERESTING COLOR. IT LOOKS LIKE SOME BIRDS WE GOT OUT OF BLACK OVER SELF BLUE YEARS AGO WHICH WE. WE BRED BLACK OVER SELF BLUE AND THEN BRED SIBLINGS TOGETHER AS WELL AS LINE BREEDING AND GOT SOME BIRDS THAT LOOKED VERY SIMILIAR TO THE OPALS. WE WERE JUST TRYING TO IMPROVE THE SELF BLUES SO WE CULLED THEM. I HAVE SEEN A LOT OF COLORS THAT CROPPED OUT YEARS AGO AND WERE CULLED AND NOW THEY HAVE NAMES.

I have 9 Opal chicks in the brooder now! My experamental mateings are proving what I expected, simple recessive to blue, to black, to Dom white allthough the F-1 whites had blue legs, Opal did not cause any other color change in the above colors and all F-1s produced Opal in the F-2s. I have not found it to be sex linked so far. This year I was able to pick up a quality pair of BBs from Andy Barnes, BBs mated to Opals only 1 chick so far and it looks to be a BB so this tells me that Opal is also recessive to wild type BB but many more need to be produced to be sure. I would like to try wheaton and or brown red but I have not had the oppertunity to aquire the quality in these varieties that I want so mabe next year. I hope every one has good luck with the Opals and I expect a large entries and a lot of compition this fall in Oklahoma shows in the Opal variety.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom