Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

We got snow yesterday and last night. The very fine, blow around, light-weight kind. Kinda hard to measure inches when it's so uneven with the blowing and drifting, but I'd say about 4-5 inches total. This is only the second snowfall big enough to measure for us, so I'm not complaining. The low tonight is forecast at 0 F and tomorrow night at 9 F, so looks like this snow will stay longer than the first one, which lasted only two days before melting.
I focused on the days getting longer.....the short daylight just puts me in a funk.......

Highlander, I see on the news that you may get a chance to vote for independence from "The Kingdom" in 2014.......what took you so long?!
big_smile.png

Lol, England doesn't want us to go and take our oil with us, that's what!
big_smile.png
We, and many of the other "colonies", have the advantage of an ocean separating us from their gnarly clutches.........made the separation a bit easier! F..R..E..E..D..O..M .................

So far using this new format has been a pain. One keystroke from finishing a post and it disappeared. Same thing happened yesterday. There must be some place out in cyberspace that is jam packed with lost posts.

Yesterday fishing without a heavy coat, tomorrow 4 inches of snow. What a strange winter.

How did you change that font size? Wished everything is like that LOL! Takes time to get used to it!

Great size steelhead! Dinner time!

How did you change that font size? Wished everything is like that LOL! Takes time to get used to it!

Great size steelhead! Dinner time!

At the top of the Editor, the third box from the left says "size", click on the arrow to drop down the menu, choose the size font you want your post in. You can also choose a colored font in the next box (be careful, some of them are VERY hard to read).
To make the whole screen fonts bigger, on the lower left of your computer keyboard, hold down the "Ctrl" key while pushing the "+" button on the keyboard. This will "magnify" everything on your screen so that no matter what size font posters use, it will appear on your screen as bigger.
Have a great day everyone and stay warm!!!!

We didn't get the snow that was predicted but since it is still snowing and blowing we may yet. It's amazing just how much difference 20 degrees in temperature makes one feel. Wednesday when it was in the high 40s I wanted to be outside. Today my brother came up to take Granny out for lunch and asked me to join them. I looked out at the snow coming down and said "I'll pass".

I just took a slow cooker out to the kitchen overflow shelves in the attached garage and as short as that trip was it made me wish I'd put on a coat. Our kitchen has 24' of upper and lower cabinets plus a 3' wide full heighth pantry, a granite top roll around kitchen cart that I built and we still don't has enough cabinet space to contain all the pots and pans we've accumulated. The cart holds cast irons skillets and mixing bowls which did help but I still had to build 4 shelves16' long to hold the rest of the essential cookware we just have to have. We have 4 different sizes of slo-cookers, several different sizes of stock pots, 3 pressure cookers, a couple of different steamers, woks, and the list goes on. When you add a refrigerator and two large upright freezers it's a wonder that I can even get my truck in the garage.

When we got married and bought our first house the kitchen was the size of a postage stamp but it didn't matter at the time because it was new and exciting and all mine but the novelty wore off very quickly and when we moved my biggest priority was for a big kitchen. I got one that was 3 times the size of my stamp and it kept me happy for a few years but since I started my collection of "stuff" it's back to feeling like a postage stamp again. We have the room to extend out and I sometimes find myself gazing out the window imagining what it would look like with the wall another 10 feet down the garden. Granite worksurfaces, a big island in the middle, sliding doors leading to decking where I can sit out of a summer's eve and sip ice cold chardonnay etc. But unless I divorce my IT geek and marry a builder I think daydreaming is the closest I am going to get to my dream kitchen!

If you see my kitchen, its a gallery style and I love it! For an OLD house, it does not give much room to expand. Lordy, the mess it was in when we moved in. Cast iron porcelain claded granny sink (the one that would be so low with a very high back splash with old fashioned spigots...remember those?) Curtians on the bottom...ick! Steel cabinets and a weird layout where the sink, refigerator and stove would be. What the heck were they thinking?

Picture this.

stairs going up into kitchen from back door....window on the south side, in the sw corner, table sits there, and nothing above stove....then a window on the west side ...then nothing until you bump into the nw corner, you will find a gas stove sitting there with over cabinets, then another tiny cabinet next to it with el cheapo butcher block that has seen better days. Then opening of door into living room, then scan down to the ne corner of kitchen, there is a OLD refigerator, the Kirby looking vaccum style design, and then the sink right next to it on the east wall.

Ughly!

Now this is the finished touch, pulled up four LAYERS of lino and two carpets. Ick! The wooden floors it once graced were all cupped but we could not rip it out due to finances. So we laid down lino. That was a mistake! As heavythe traffic comes in, the shiney layer of lino wears thin and dull and repeated bleaching didn't help either. I wanted a nice CLEAN kitchen floor but next time when we redo our mistakes, I will have TILE in the kitchen AND bathroom. It just can not stand the wear and tear like my wooden floors throughout the house. It is not even seven years old! I don't think we spent alot because we went ahead and save by buying unfinished cabinets and paint and stained it. Dad put in ALOT of it. He made a boo boo on one edge where the refigerator was...the previous refigerator was too large so my dear Mom bought me a little smaller one which fits the bill and family perfectly. We walled up that west window even some said don't do it but we did it anyway and haven't had a problem YET! Where the sink and cabinets are, the window sits there behind that wall. We have a brick house so there is no way we can duplicate the bricks, color or modify the window like it is without adding so much expense we got from income tax. I think we spend no more than $3,000 for this kitchen. As I get older, I use the TOP cabinets less and less and used the "overflow" of appliances/canned goods downstairs in the basement.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom