Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Wow! I leave and come back to pages to get caught up on!!!
big_smile.png

Its been dreary all day here but I had a bright spot in getting some of the eggs I have been waiting on.

The Hoosier cabinet is finally done. From about 1895 until 1942 The Hoosier Cabinet Company sold these cabinet in a variety of styles. Most houses built before 1940 were built without or with minimal kitchen cabinets. These units provided the storage and work area that was needed. This one is one of the earlier models because it has a zinc top. The tops were changed to porcelain in 1905.

This one was given to me by a very dear old lady. The interior and all metal parts had been painted several times and the back of the cabinet had delaminated. The entire cabinet was very dirty. I removed all the paint and cleaned every thing. Rather than stripping the finish I just repaired it and apply a tung oil and wax finish.

10233_hoosier_cabinet_013.jpg

Upper cabinet features a flour bin with sifter, a revolving spice rack, and a sugar hopper

10233_hoosier_cabinet_015.jpg

The side rails on the pullout shelve are original but the shelve I had to replace

10233_hoosier_cabinet_017.jpg

Flour bin, spice rack, sugar hopper

10233_hoosier_cabinet_007.jpg

Closeup of floor sifter upper knob operates a rocker bar in the flour bin. The lower handle operates a crank that shakes the sifter

10233_hoosier_cabinet_008.jpg

It's pretty rare to find one with the original spice jars

10233_hoosier_cabinet_021.jpg

The large bottom drawer even had the original bread box

10233_hoosier_cabinet_024.jpg

The countertop is 16" wide from to upper cabinet to the front edge but it pulls out to give you a 24" work surface

10233_hoosier_cabinet_019.jpg

Last edited:
Woody, kind Sir.... I bat my eyelashes at you and all you can do is talk about scrapin' some wood? What's up with that? *sigh* Maybe I need to pluck some yak hair and make myself some eyelash extensions.

smile.png
Well, i kinda got off subject there for a bit. Sorry, and i'm sure you have some mighty fine " natural lashes" and here's a "wink" back at ya!!!!!!!!
cool.png

smile.png
Opa, Nice carvings and a stellar example of the ol' Hoosier. Turned out nice and you are right about the spice rack.
thumbsup.gif

WOW Opa, you sure did a fine job on that cabinet. Its a beauty for sure. Now keep your eyes open for another one to redo for me. As my house would look mighty dandy with one sitting in my kitchen or dinning room. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Wow! That cabinet is GORGEOUS! Nice work on it, Opa.

I had a chance as a teenager to buy the southern version of that type of cabinet. The unit was made of white wood and enameled metal countertop and had all teh snazzy gizmos inside. At the time I didn't have a place to put it. I have regretted not buying it ever since.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom