Places where roosters can crow

nnuc

In the Brooder
May 11, 2023
Hello all!

I would like to count on your knowledge to make a list of all places in the USA where, simply put, roosters can crow. I will move to the US, and we have decided that we will only live where the roosters can crow, no invasive complaints, no irrational laws, no whatever. Anywhere, any suggestion is welcome. Your input will help not only me but all those who look for the same.

I'm a newbie, so please be gentle with me.

Thank you all in advance!

All the best,

Hello all!

I would like to count on your knowledge to make a list of all places in the USA where, simply put, roosters can crow. I will move to the US, and we have decided that we will only live where the roosters can crow, no invasive complaints, no irrational laws, no whatever. Anywhere, any suggestion is welcome. Your input will help not only me but all those who look for the same.

I'm a newbie, so please be gentle with me.

Thank you all in advance!

All the best,

It will be almost impossible to make a complete list.

The United States has 50 states, along with some other areas (Washington D.C. is not in any state, Puerto Rico is a territory rather than a state, etc.)

Each of those 50 states makes their own laws about many things. I do not think any state has a law forbidding roosters.

Each of the 50 states is divided into smaller sections. Most states call them counties, but a few states call them boroughs or parishes or some other term. Each county makes its own rules. This is where you often find no-roosters rules.

Counties often set up different zoning districts, with rules about what is allowed in each district. They might have an agricultural district (mainly for farming, and roosters are usually allowed), a residential district (mainly for people to live, and roosters are often banned), a commercial district (for places of business, and roosters are often banned), and various other districts. They might have several districts of one kind (like a residential district that only allows single-family homes and a different residential district that allows big apartment buildings.)

Even within a particular county, in a zoning that allows roosters, you might still find a Home Owners Association (HOA) that bans roosters. HOAs are quite common in some parts of the country and less common in other parts, but there is nowhere completely free of them.

As a general rule of thumb, in an area where individual properties are several acres or larger, you are more likely to be allowed to keep roosters. In any area that property is sold in pieces less than about half an acres, no-rooster rules are very common. There are exceptions both directions (small properties that allow roosters, and large properties that ban them.)

So unfortunately, I do not think it is possible to make a useful list of what places in the USA allow roosters and what places do not. An accurate list would have to include every zoning district of every county of every state, and for some zoning districts it would have to include each individual piece of property because of details in the zoning code ("roosters allowed on lots over 2 acres in size" or "a rooster must be housed at least 200 feet from any neighboring house" or similar things.)

I can't add much to the above post, other than much of the US is still rural. So, your chances of finding an agricultural area is very good.

I retired and bought a small parcel last year. My health told me an acre was enough. I found one zoned agricultural, allowing chickens and up to two large animals (I sold all my horses, but may want to raise a bit of beef). Look online in areas that appeal to you.

@nnuc, start with looking for the kind of climate you want to live in. Hot and dry? Hot and humid? Snowy winters? Lots of rain? We have them all. Do you want to live near water (lakes, rivers, oceans), in a forest, on flat plains, in the mountains? We have all of those, too.

There will be many, many communities in any of those areas where you will be able to have roosters. And many, many others where you can't.

The closer you are to a city, the less likely local ordinances will allow roosters. Out in the rural countryside, it's much more likely that no one will object to roosters.

Thank you so much to all for your whole-hearted replies and understanding! I've just recently lost my 12 roosters in France because of, well, many things. No matter how much I tried to go against the current cruelty towards roosters (maybe you already know about the various methods to instantly cull newly hatched male chicks?), the neighbors are always there to stalk, to report, and to control your life. It's bewildering to me how the morning wake-up call of those beautiful natural creatures would be so much worse than the morning traffic sounds, or any kind of neighbors' machines. Maybe ever since the invention of electronic lighting, people no longer go to bed once it's dark, like roosters still do. And now all the blame is on the poor little roosters.

I really don't want to be anti-social, but it's starting to dawn on me that maybe no neighbor may be the best. I truly hope the US will be a better place, especially for roosters.

See you soon, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave!

:welcome and to the USA! We are glad to have you - the more good people the better :).

I have two roosters and they crow all day long…nobody cares and if they do there’s nothing they can do about it because I live in agricultural zoned land. Where in the US are you looking to move?
Personally I think the middle East Coast is the best place because you can find plenty of rural areas that accept roosters but you are still not that far from many of the big cities.

By the way, I don’t know why people think roosters are so loud. I had one of mine sleeping in my basement last night and he started crowing around 5 am; the only reason I heard him was because my dog started barking, and once I got her to be quiet I went right back to sleep despite the fact he was still crowing.

@nnuc, one other thing to consider... the political -- and religious -- climate of where you move to. I don't want to make this a political or religious discussion. There are areas of the country that might mesh well with how you feel about those issues, but there are some that might make you feel very uncomfortable, especially as a new person in the area.

I only bring this up because if you move here and buy land, that is a big commitment. It's not so easy to move if you feel like you don't fit in where you are.

Most people, especially in rural areas, are very welcoming. I told my each of my neighbors when they moved in (we're the "long timers" on the road now), that everyone out here kind of looks out for everyone else. Need help at 2am? I can be at your house before the police, ambulance, or fire fighters. I won't have the equipment they all do, but I will do what I can to help. So if you need help, call me. I would feel terrible if something happened, and you didn't because you didn't know me that well, or didn't "want to bother me."

And everyone on our road loves to hear my rooster crow. :)

@nnuc, one other thing to consider... the political -- and religious -- climate of where you move to. I don't want to make this a political or religious discussion. There are areas of the country that might mesh well with how you feel about those issues, but there are some that might make you feel very uncomfortable, especially as a new person in the area.

I only bring this up because if you move here and buy land, that is a big commitment. It's not so easy to move if you feel like you don't fit in where you are.

Most people, especially in rural areas, are very welcoming. I told my each of my neighbors when they moved in (we're the "long timers" on the road now), that everyone out here kind of looks out for everyone else. Need help at 2am? I can be at your house before the police, ambulance, or fire fighters. I won't have the equipment they all do, but I will do what I can to help. So if you need help, call me. I would feel terrible if something happened, and you didn't because you didn't know me that well, or didn't "want to bother me."

And everyone on our road loves to hear my rooster crow. :)
And THAT is what America is supposed to be! My rooster starts crowing (I believe) when he hears me talking to DH over my my morning coffee in the garden at 4 am usually. DH has to be t
o work at 5. This morning, we slept in and I woke the chickens letting them out at 6:30. No one has said anything to me, and it's certainly no louder than traffic but more natural.
I enjoyed the Carolinas, but my spine didn't. So, I am in the land of the Arthritic, and free to have critters, guns, etc.

Back
Top Bottom