Places where roosters can crow

If you go outside at night and see no other lights than your own home, then the rooster can crow, so it seems. I love roosters though. They do give me anxiety when they do crow, because my neighbors are grumpy. Even if other neighbors have roosters and they crow, I get blamed, because they can see my coop.

I live outside of town, on a metes and bounds property. I have 2 roosters and my neighbor has one that I slipped into her coop when she wasn't looking.🫣 In my area of Michigan, that is about the best scenario for a rooster. I do have varmints and I have a small 410g shot gun for those pests. 😏

As has been already stated when researching how welcomed you'd be with chickens, dig deeper in regard of religion and politics and education. A happy life is more than chickens. Now! I have 6 chickens (2 are roosters!) who free range during the day as well as a couple of (rescue) mini pigs in town but I also have 3 huge lots. That said, my neighbor has one huge lot and 20 chickens (2 roosters) who are confined in 1/3 of the lot (plenty of room and happy chickens). Two other people live on our block and we have no problems. (They get free eggs) That said, a fellow living 3 blocks over had to contain his chickens because someone complained. My town is one that anything goes (within reason) until someone complains.

Hello all!

I would like to count on your knowledge to make a list of all places in the USA where, simply put, roosters can crow. I will move to the US, and we have decided that we will only live where the roosters can crow, no invasive complaints, no irrational laws, no whatever. Anywhere, any suggestion is welcome. Your input will help not only me but all those who look for the same.

I'm a newbie, so please be gentle with me.

Thank you all in advance!

All the best,
Come to Idaho, buy some land away from the city, like 5 acres or so, and nobody will mind the crowing.

Hello all!

I would like to count on your knowledge to make a list of all places in the USA where, simply put, roosters can crow. I will move to the US, and we have decided that we will only live where the roosters can crow, no invasive complaints, no irrational laws, no whatever. Anywhere, any suggestion is welcome. Your input will help not only me but all those who look for the same.

All the best,
Hello all!

All the best,
Hens, but not roosters are allowed in the little town where I live in Oregon. Luckily we live just outside the city limits, and roosters can crow! We give our next door neighbor fresh eggs now and then, and they are happy. Check the ordinances of a place before you buy it, and look for a rural area, outside city limits if needed. We are only 2 miles from the town center, so not inconvenient!

Totally agree with the above city/rural comments. And watch out for potential growth of small-lot suburbs encroaching on the rural edges. As things get denser and more urbanized, the less tolerance there seems to be for natural background noise like roosters, or turkeys gobbling (wild & domestic). Or running a wood chipper, target practice on your own land, excited cattle lowing when it's hay-feeding time to supplement grass, etc.

We made sure to settle far enough away in a rural area that even if the nearest (small) town expands with suburban growth at some point, it won't reach out this far where people are running beef cattle, raising heritage pigs and all kinds of poultry, running home-based egg businesses, big greenhouses growing nursery stock, a large goat dairy (Cypress Grove cheeses, yum!) and a lot of folks growing for the many nearby farmers markets. At least, not for decades at which point DH and I will have "fallen off the twig" and our kids can take over.

Plus we're on septic (no sewers out this way) and most are on wells, internet and cell service is unstable except in the 3 more populated towns, no streetlights or sidewalks, lots of woods full of serious (and legally protected) wildlife - black bears, coyotes, gray foxes, raccoons, possums, skunks, etc. so, daunting for folks who want a more sub/urban lifestyle. Sheriffs are spread very thin so we and our neighbors have guns just in case; shotguns are the practical favorite for whatever varmints need running off, 4-legged or 2.

The downside is, a lot of areas like ours don't offer much in the way of employment opportunities, and there's an affordable housing crunch here as there is in so many places around the country. We're so far north that when we tell outsiders where we live, many ask, bewildered,"Is that in California?" Yup, one county between us and Oregon, mostly forested and thinly populated except around Humboldt Bay, and those cities are small.

We're in an unincorporated county area, and locals go ballistic whenever the small but noisy group of "New Urbanists" get news coverage touting cityhood and remaking everything to promote bikes and buses over cars, build multi-story apartment complexes, etc. -- to which we say,"Then move back to a city. We live here because we DON'T want all that!."

We love our (unincorporated, small) town's official slogan: "McKinleyville, where horses have the right-of-way" and it's true; there's a dedicated bridle path along our (only) main street.

And much depends on what you need to make a living. The main employers are education, medical and government services, the power company, the remaining lumber and fishing operations and retail/service jobs. Retirees like us, seasonal tourism (the redwoods, the wild north coast, etc.) and the cannabis industry also put money into the local economy. I read that a lot of rural areas have similar issues.

Big selling points for us: plenty of our own water (and too remote/surrounded by rugged mountains for urban centers or arid Central Valley Big Ag to pipe it away) and a very temperate climate. We moved far away from the increasingly hot, dry, smoggy, traffic-clogged, wildfire-prone regions south and inland of here.

Best of success finding your perfect place to settle in the U.S.! I know some are finding what they want in places like upstate New York, Vermont, Maryland, western Massachusetts, etc. if you prefer the East Coast. Bedlamfarm.com is an interesting blog about rural life in upstate New York.

Last edited:
Totally agree with the above city/rural comments. And watch out for potential growth of small-lot suburbs encroaching on the rural edges. As things get denser and more urbanized, the less tolerance there seems to be for natural background noise like roosters, or turkeys gobbling (wild & domestic). Or running a wood chipper, target practice on your own land, excited cattle lowing when it's hay-feeding time to supplement grass, etc.

We made sure to settle far enough away in a rural area that even if the nearest (small) town expands with suburban growth at some point, it won't reach out this far where people are running beef cattle, raising heritage pigs and all kinds of poultry, running home-based egg businesses, big greenhouses growing nursery stock, a large goat dairy (Cypress Grove cheeses, yum!) and a lot of folks growing for the many nearby farmers markets. At least, not for decades at which point DH and I will have "fallen off the twig" and our kids can take over.

Plus we're on septic (no sewers out this way) and most are on wells, internet and cell service is unstable except in the 3 more populated towns, no streetlights or sidewalks, lots of woods full of serious (and legally protected) wildlife - black bears, coyotes, gray foxes, raccoons, possums, skunks, etc. so, daunting for folks who want a more sub/urban lifestyle. Sheriffs are spread very thin so we and our neighbors have guns just in case; shotguns are the practical favorite for whatever varmints need running off, 4-legged or 2.

The downside is, a lot of areas like ours don't offer much in the way of employment opportunities, and there's an affordable housing crunch here as there is in so many places around the country. We're so far north that when we tell outsiders where we live, many ask, bewildered,"Is that in California?" Yup, one county between us and Oregon, mostly forested and thinly populated except around Humboldt Bay, and those cities are small.

We're in an unincorporated county area, and locals go ballistic whenever the small but noisy group of "New Urbanists" get news coverage touting cityhood and remaking everything to promote bikes and buses over cars, build multi-story apartment complexes, etc. -- to which we say,"Then move back to a city. We live here because we DON'T want all that!."

We love our (unincorporated, small) town's official slogan: "McKinleyville, where horses have the right-of-way" and it's true; there's a dedicated bridle path along our (only) main street.

And much depends on what you need to make a living. The main employers are education, medical and government services, the power company, the remaining lumber and fishing operations and retail/service jobs. Retirees like us, seasonal tourism (the redwoods, the wild north coast, etc.) and the cannabis industry also put money into the local economy. I read that a lot of rural areas have similar issues.

Big selling points for us: plenty of our own water (and too remote/surrounded by rugged mountains for urban centers or arid Central Valley Big Ag to pipe it away) and a very temperate climate. We moved far away from the increasingly hot, dry, smoggy, traffic-clogged, wildfire-prone regions south and inland of here.

Best of success finding your perfect place to settle in the U.S.! I know some are finding what they want in places like upstate New York, Vermont, Maryland, western Massachusetts, etc. if you prefer the East Coast. Bedlamfarmjournal.com is an interesting blog about rural life in upstate New York.
Thanks for reminding me about Jon Katz' site Bedlamfarm.com. I've read a number of his books about his leaving the suburbs to start over on his own farm.

Hello all!

All the best,
Hi. Welcome to the US!
I have a home in the city and a cabin in rural Ohio.
Things I have found—
Do not buy if there is a Home Owners Association (HOA). Way too many rules.
If there is a septic system you are probably far enough out to have roosters.
I have neighbors that are about 150 meters from my house, I know that they can hear my Roosters so I just give them eggs about every 10 days. No complaints!

Back
Top Bottom