Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

How fun, good luck! I've never hatched quail but I've heard they come out like popcorn.
smile.png

Another hot and humid day here in the Missouri Ozarks. The rain went around us again and our garden is getting so dry, its impractical for us to water much because its too far from the house, but we do a little. Hubby picked raspberries again today and I got 5 quarts canned and some pint jars of topping/syrup, they are sooo good. Momma is feeling better and is ready for an outing with me in the morning to go pick up milk and feed. Picked cabbage this evening and letting it wilt some overnight so I can make another attempt at sauerkraut in the jars
roll.png
not had the best of luck with that! Feeling blessed tonight and grateful for all the things so freely given to use each day.

Hope you are all doing well, will check in in the morning over coffee and see what you all have been up to....
wink.png

Maybe I getting maudlin in my old age, but last night and again tonight when I went out to close up the birds I couldn't help but flash back to my childhood. Frogs and crickets serenaded me and everywhere I looked there were fireflies. There were so many that they made the yard look as if the stars had descended to light my way. I remember as a young boy playing outside and catching trying to catch enough fireflies in a jar so we could make lanterns. I remember wanting to come in until the last possible moment. It was like summer days were just too short and you needed to make them last as long as possible.

CCM, do you place the cabbage in the jars to ferment? I've made and can sauerkraut many times with great success but I've always fermented it in a stone crock before canning it. I know I sure like the taste and texture of homemade kraut much better than the store bought stuff. I think maybe they cheat with that junk and add vinegar to it. For some reason it always tastes much too sourer. I know one would expect sauerkraut to be sour but something about the taste of the commercial stuff is acrid.

Granny talked with my oldest son, who lives in SW Missouri, and he is complaining about the lack of water as well. That hasn't been the problem here, in fact if anything we've been having too much rain. My okra was doing well but now I'm doubtful if it is going to do much. It's been too cool for it to do well. Some years it makes it and other years it just withers away.

Opa I lost my crock several years ago when it got broken so I have been trying this jar thing here and there, I have had pink kraut and stink kraut, but never sauerkraut!! Big jars, little jars... you name it!! This time I have read everything I could find about "why" mine is not working..
fl.gif
so hopefully if the moon and the stars are aligned and it will work in the jars this time. I know women who do this and it works, but so far not for me!! I sure need to find another crock!! That makes the best tasting kraut of all!!

Parts of Missouri have been getting too much rain but all we seem to be able to get is a little shower here and there. Last year was not a good garden year here either and I was hoping for a good one this year to catch up on some canning. Not that we couldn't survive another year on what's in the basement (I am a can-a-holic), but would sure like to have some fresh.

I can so relate to you and the frogs, crickets and fireflies..weren't those just the best times when mom was hollering to come on in and get your bath and you were still busy chasing fireflies and playing tag??? What sweet memories!

Back
Top Bottom