Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Quote:
I like raspberries a lot! That must be insanely hot, Opa. We have been around 95 degrees. And what's so bad about the quail? They're so cute!!

I want to go to Desu Kan but it's in Denver.
sad.png

Get behind me devil. I will not get quail. I will not get quail. I will not get quail. I will not get quail. I will not get quail.

Good Morning Everyone! We didn't get any rain yesterday so I watered the garden and transplants last night. The chickens are enjoying the Japanese beetle buffet but aren't keeping up with them. Last year they got to our area and I'm finding which of my plantings they target. Unfortunately, the chickens can't reach the tops of the cherry tree or hazelnut bushes to get the majority of them. They do hang around under the bushes to get them as they go to the ground though.

Opa, How big of a problem could a few quail be? Look how cute they are and how small..........wouldn't take up much room at all!
PK, Hope things work out for you to go to Denver. That's not toooo far is it?

Work today and so I'd better be off. Later, Mary

Soooooo Opa......

How many quail eggs do you have in the incubator?
lau.gif

Hope everyone had a good holiday. We had 2 absolutely beautiful days and now the heat and humidity are back. But that has to have been the best Fourth ever, weatherwise. I got started on converting the smaller packing crate to a coop and rehomed four roosters by ads on Craig's List.
The cuckoo giant green egger roo was sold to a 10 year old girl and her parents. The 3 Ameraucanas went to a lady with a huge flock a couple hours away. It took 2 months of running ads on CL, but I finally have some early morning peace and quiet!
big_smile.png

Heard briefly from the Highlander, they are having a grand time in Hungary, but internet is time limited when on vacation. Hope they're getting lots of pics.
frow.gif
Hi Thistle!

Sheila, I STILL have 5 broodies, they might go in a cage today if I can catch them. Chasing down 4 roosters really made my hip issues resurface.
hmm.png
NO more chickens, I am even going to sell the incubator. Hope the NPIP goes smoothly today!

IIF, those quail are adorable, so tiny! Hope you had a good hatch and thanks for posting the pics. Opa's gonna have quail eggs within a week, at least that's my bet!

Mary, may I ask what's the story behind NotAFarm? We have 1.64 acres and I call it a ranch. My Texas homesick thing!
lau.gif
Same thing with me being ranchhand, it's my wishful thinking.
big_smile.png

PK, I love raspberries, too, especially when combined with dark chocolate.

Time to get going, before it gets too awful outside.

Morning friends.
TX Ag. guy just called and told me his computer was down so he couldn't come until tomorrow.
he.gif
We have had 2 days with no rain, so my run has finally started to dry up, BUT we are supposed to get more today sooooo I guess he is just gonna have to wade through the mud to test my birds.
I know what you mean Sally-we sold quite a few of our birds over the weekend and DH landed on his keister at some point through the whole rounding up process.
lol.png
Sorry your hip was aggravated by your roo adventures. I cried like a big baby over the sale of one of my roosters-ugh I have to toughen up.
Garden is on the downhill slide-surprised it has done as well as it has considering how hot it was so early this year.
Well, not a whole lot going on in my world this morning, just wanted to check in and say howdy to everyone.
Have a blessed day, all!

Just came in from moving 165' of electric poultry fencing and I'm sure glad I didn't have any more. The heat is already starting to get brain frying hot. It's supposed to hit 95 today and tomorrow and it feels like the humidity is about 200. I first check the garden to see if it needed watering but with the heavy straw and grass thatch mulch I put down after planting, and the high humidity, the water I gave it yesterday should suffice until tomorrow.

Picked the first cucumbers of the season yesterday and it looks like I should be getting the first tomatoes is about a week. Talked with Joe yesterday and it is slightly cooler there and much less humidity. It's amazing the difference in humidity from one part of Missouri to another. I remember when I was a DI at Fort Leonard Wood that the humidity was almost unbearable yet 150 miles southwest it is quite reasonable, but we don't even want to talk about how bad it is over in the bootheel. With all of the rivers coming together and all of the rice paddies I'm surprized anyone can breathe.

The chickens are all lying in the shaded dirt trying to stay cool. I've got one broody large fowl but there is a fan in that coop. The one I most concerned about is a bantam vorwerk hen that is sitting on a half dozen eggs. I open the lid of the nest box and put a couple of props in to hold it slighly open. Hopefully that will keep the heat from getting too bad.

Quote:
ranchy, Do you want the long story or the short one?
lol.png
Okay, we'll go for the shorter long version. Both my parents were raised on farms in Nebraska. My Dad went into the Air Force so we moved around alot and always went back to Nebraska to visit for vacations (going to a family reunion there on July 23 - 25). I loved everything about those visits and was so jealous of my cousins that lived on the farm. Fast forward to 1998 when DH and I decided to leave the suburbs and find a little piece of heaven within commuting distance to his job. Found 5 beautiful acres that would allow horses but no other livestock. Every time I would say, "What about ______________(fill in blank with an animal)?" He would say "This is not a farm". He is a sweetheart of a city boy and I now have chickens (three kinds plus Freedom Rangers on the way) and Muscovy ducks. I'll have a few Bourbon Red Turkeys if my broody will hatch them for me. Soooooooooo, it's NOT A FARM but it's becoming quite the aviary!!!!
lau.gif

(My signature says 4 acres because we sold the piece on the other side of our creek when we got tired of trying to maintain a bridge to get our mower across to it. Too old to drag it out the 5th time after the flash floods took it!)

Anyone else have a spouse, significant other or whoever that just doesn't get "why you want to have something else to take care of"?

Evening folks, glad to see everyone is doing ok. Opa I hear quail eggs are delicious, especially pickled!!!
wink.png
Your ark is fabulous by the way. Love the pictures of the baby quail, had some many years ago and loved them.

Mary its been so dry here also, maybe a chance of rain in a day or so, most of our garden is drying up and folding over; but did manage to get a gallon of blackberries this morning and canned them for pie this winter. The humidity here has returned with a vengence and this little old fat gal sure knows how to sweat!! Holy cow! Can't wait for a frost...
lol.png

ETC good luck with your Ag. guy!! Ranchie I couldn't imagine not having a rooster, but enjoy the peace and quiet!!

Thistle enjoy your vacation, beautiful country from what I understand.

We have just been busy around the place and took a short trip to the river before the holiday weekend and had a good time fishing. Full time job right now trying to keep chickens cool, and water some of the fruit trees trying to keep the fruit on them in this drouth, pretty much gave up on saving the garden. Started sewing on quilts again since the canning will be minimal, I guess they will all get quilts for Christmas instead of a laundry basket full of home canned goodies this year.

Blessings to all....I'll try to come by earlier for coffee next time.
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom