Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

The No Rooster button?
lau.gif

If it has one of those I am gonna HAVE to get one!

Thistle, go for both the lemons and the chocs. Then figure out how to export to the US. I guarantee you will have lots of customers!

Not much going on here, still too muggy and hot to spend much time outside. I might have one broody still but she seems to be just playing at it off and on. The ducks aren't laying yet, but probably soon. I am once again awash with eggs, need to sell some! I have plenty of people who want eggs - if I take them to them for free!
roll.png
NOT!

Stay cool, that's my goal!

10233_coffee_yawn.gif
It's the middle of the night yet I'm wide awake. Makes no sense to be awake but I might as well read since I'm up. Found a book at the used bookstore yesterday called Great Lakes Shipwreaks & Survivals. Pretty amazing just how dangerous the Great Lakes can be. The area is huge and storms can build waves of mountainous proportions. Evidently this waves build faster and closer together than their ocean cousins making them more dangerous. I know I once got caught in a building storm on Lake Huron and had to endure waves of 12' before making it to safety. I can't imagine being out there on 30' waves that are common during storms.

2 chicks in the incubator this morning! 44 more eggs to go
smile.png
An lavender ameracuana of ours and a vorvek from Opa. They are cute and loud!

Best get rolling, church at 8am.

Canned beets today and put up 30 pints. We also put 4 quarts in the freezer. It was heartbreaking to see all of the beets I had to throw away because of vole damage. It's too late for the beets but maybe all of the traps I've put out will minimize the damage to everything else.

I put on a pot of coffee and it's sure smelling good. Granny made a Coconut Cream Cheese Pound Cake today and if any of you would like to join me for cake and coffee I'd be proud to have you.

Last edited:
Sure don't like this heat we're having again. It makes canning a little uncomfortable. Yesterday I made bell pepper onion relish and diced 4 quarts of bell peppers for the freezer. Of course I had to help with the garden as a kid, but I was probably 25 before I planted a garden of my own. This year I grew the best bell peppers ever. I had 20 plants of several varieties and there was abundance of ones that are perfect for stuffed peppers; 4-5" across, 5" tall, and flat bottomed. I picked into a 5 gallon pail and had to empty it 7 times. There are still quite a few small ones remaining and the plants are still blooming.

Wow, that's a lot of peppers. With all the rain and heat the garden has taken a turn for the worse. BUT..... we have a zillion jalapenos!

In a couple of weeks I will have about 12 bushel of tomatoes to do this year.... I have some tomatoes left over from last year , so I will not do as many... last year I did 300 quarts... I want to do some paste as well as some crushed tomatoes... my SIL did some sauce for pizza last year...came out good.
droolin.gif

have to look into some of my recipes... my Step mother had a picalilly recipe that was good.. it was handed down from her grandmother in the 1800's... wish I could find it.. it is on a little piece of green paper..
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom