Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

I have to go unload the tools from yesterday's job and load the ones for todays so I will post the recipe later. You will however need a package of sweetened dried coconut and a can of coconut milk. Mix the two together and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before making the cake.

Ick, I just looked at the calendar and today is Friday the 13th. I'm not terribly superstitious, but I do tend to be more cautious on those days!

I must have started mine a day early though.
hmm.png
While walking from the shop to the house yesterday evening I tangled my foot in some English ivy and fell down across a large downed branch. Really wrenched my knee, bum hip and lower back. So today I am all locked up and quite sore, clomping around the house with a duck head cane. The good news is that I didn't drop but one of the 3 beers I was carrying! (no, I had not had any of the beer yet!)
lol.png

Luckily, DH is on 4-ten hour days right now, so he 's off Fri., Sat. and Sun. Bless him, he's going to do my errands today so I can rest a little. Not sure I can convince him the change the duck water though, that's a stinky job!

Opa, that cake sounds wonderful, I love coconut!

IIF, do you make the pink pickled eggs? DH loves them. He thought he didn't like beets but now loves them.

Highlander, glad you had a scrumptious anniversary dinner. Very glad the family was able to walk away from the horrific accident.

PK, I grew up in a small town with very little exposure to gardening, much less farming. I learned a lot from books and experimenting on my own. Nothing wrong with living in a city. I did it for many years and just decided to move to the country so we could have chickens again! A lot of cities have room for gardens, and container gardening is less labor intensive and fun. Herbs and peppers are great, add a cherry tomato plant, too.

MamaG, how are ya doin'? Our garden is pretty much cratered except the peppers. Really bad year for the tomatoes.

Hillbilly, nice to see you!

Wylie, same to you. You must stay on the fly with keeping up with the kids.

Anybody I missed?
frow.gif

Morning! Thanks Ranchie, for the advice.

Ah, I've got to write down a bunch of stuff today...

Well, I decided to do a silly little English project and write The Raven as if it was written by a teenager from today. Here's a little bit from the rough draft.

One night, while it was pouring rain, I thought about something
It was related to the IM I was having with a friend about loving
I almost fell asleep from the boredom, when I heard someone knock
It was kinda loud, this knock. "It's probably my brother" I said to myself
"Just my brother, now no more!"

Oh yeah, I remember how it was during that icky December,
And the fire in the fireplace was pretty much dying
I was wishing for tomorrow to come sooner; I happened to be crying
Because I just so happened to think about Abby
For the hot chick everyone in school talked about, named Abby
She's dead now, for ever

And with my cute purple curtains rustling sadly
It made me happy; Oh wait, it actually made me terrified
Or was it both at the same time?
Anyway, I repeated to myself,
"It's just bro, it's just bro at my door. Now leave me alone!"

I stood in the middle of darkness. feeling quite scared, looking around
Currently dreaming some quite unique dreams (Well, this was before...)
My room was as silent as could be, except for someone whispering "Abby?"
Oh shoot, that someone was me! Anyway, an echo came back to me, saying "Abby!"
It just said this, nothin' more.

Back in by room, I was feeling quite nervous
I heard again someone knocking, except this was so much louder
"Oh geez", I said, "I told him to knock it off!
Fine then, I'll see what he wants!
I'll see what he wants, even if I happen to die of fright and stress!
Or I could say it's the wind, and nothing else."

Screw it, I said, flinging open my door with many worries
Into my room came my brother, my always well groomed and somewhat vain brother
He ignored my starting rant, instead....
He walked on over to my sofa and sat down on it
Merely took over my sofa, and nothing more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
i havent made the pink pickled eggs im not really making true pickled im just putting them in a jar for three day in pickle juice,jalapeneo juice,and balsamic viniger

Yesterday was my granddaughter's birthday and it has become increasingly difficult to come up with ideas for presents. She doesn't act the least bit spoiled, but truth be know she wants for nothing. Finally I decided to send her flowers. I went on line and found a bouquet of Peruvian lillies that I thought looked quite nice. She has never been given flowers before I the idea that I would be the first appealed to me. The flowers were delivered yesterday afternoon and her response was much greater than I had hoped for. She called to thank me but first she had to call all of her friends to tell them.

The installation of a tongue and groove ceiling that David and I worked on yesterday went much better than we had planned. We had anticipated on having to go back today to finish but it went together better than any we have ever done. So today I can relax a little and work on things here.

Yesterday I said I would post the recipe for the coconut cake so here it is. Thistle I would recommend that you not allow yourself to be alone with this cake.

Coconut Cream Cheese Pound Cake

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 shortening
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cup of conditioned coconut (see note)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut flavoring

Beat butter, shortening, and cream cheese at medium speed for 2 minutes or until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating 5 to 7 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition just until yellow disappears.
Combine flour, baking soda, salt; slowly add to butter mixture, beating a low speed just until blended. Stir in coconut, vanilla, and coconut flavoring.
Pour batter into greased and floured tube pan (bundt). Bake a 325 degrees for 1 hour 30 to 40 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
Dust cake with powdered confectioners sugar.

Note: cake originally called for frozen coconut that is no longer available. To insure that you have a moist cake prepare coconut the day before by mixing dried coconut with coconut milk, refrigerate overnight to allow rehydration.

Last edited:
Quote:
wink.png
I can assure you that baking this cake will not add one single ounce to your lithe and svelte figure..............................................now eating it is a different story.
10233_nana_2.gif

I would advise that you wear a bib when taking this cake from the oven. The aroma will instantly cause you to start salivating in anticipation. I found it very difficult to wait until cooled before cutting into it.

Back
Top Bottom