Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

10233_winter_snow_1.gif
Technically spring has been here for almost a month, yet the forecast is calling for 4" of snow for today. Gotta love it. It's either that or cry. Still snow is much better than tornadoes. 240 tornadoes and 45 killed. So tragic and sad.

Last edited:
That sucks! We are enjoying some unseasonably warm weather, most days between 60 and 70 degrees. It was nice to have good weather for the kids Easter holidays instead of the usual rain and snow. Everyone is back at school today now though so I get my peace and quiet back.
smile.png

Ca va bien, merci, Opa.

Howdy, Sly! We are so lucky by location. Most of the really nasty weather just sideswipes us. We had some pretty high winds, but that saves us from raking leaves. I don't let the birds out during those times, they'd end up in the next county!

smile.png
I'm glad you are ok. I been watching some of the damage down there and it looks pretty rough. We are getting MORE
sad.png
SNOW here.
cool.png

Good day all, I have been severely remiss in not posting. Some from being busy, some because I spend so much time reading.

Had a fabulous visit from Harlan, her daughter and 3 grandkids. We did do some porch sitting, cleaned the Low Country of seafood, drank all the beer and generally had a good time. The kids were great- when they found out we have a zillion lightning whelk, conch, oyster and clam shells around they all went collecting. They visited the chickens and ducks, too, that was fun. I forgot to warn them the chickens charge out of the pens at feeding time, lol.

Meeting Harlan was really wonderful - we yak on the phone a lot so it was a real treat to meet the lovely lady and her family at last.
smile.png

I have a broody hen, Goldie, the bantam Cochin in my avatar. Not wanting to hatch my own eggs, because of some genetic issues, another dear friend sent me some gorgeous Wheaten Marans eggs! First time I have seen Marans eggs in person, they are a lovely and amazing color. So today I will be setting up the broody cage and will split the 13 eggs between Goldie and the incubator. Hard to get the humidity just right with the weird weather we're having. Please
fl.gif
for pullets, I do NOT need any more roosters! Okay, maybe one Marans......

The major line of the storms went just NW of us. Most Atlantic hurricanes also hit north of us, by just barely enough. There was a hurricane in the early 1900s that hit just south of us - our house was on Edisto Island and was knocked off it's foundation. The owner barged it up river and rebuilt in here, for his daughter to live in. We *think* it was built in 1900, but no real proof. It may have been a few years earlier. The tin roof and chimneys are all original, as is most of the house. It has some pretty crazy quirks, we call them "features".
lol.png

Thistle, so glad you are having a decent spring! Enjoy it.

PK, congrats on the Polish, I think they're adorable!

Opa, recipes like that are going to be the death of me! Yummy! And yes, I feel for the folks who have been struck by these tornados. So many lives lost, it's been horrific. In my younger days I would have loaded the truck and gone to help. Not really an option nowadays, but my thoughts are with them all.

Ranchie that cake is one of the required items on my see food diet and taking the time to rehydrate the coconut certainly improve the end result. I think it could almost wind up in the same category as butter dips, a necessity of life.

The snow is finally letting up and hopefully 4" is going to be the end of it. I shovel the back steps but that is as much as I intend to do. It's supposed to be 58 on Sunday so I think I leave the snow for God to take care of.

I've been watching the progress of the eaglets at several different nests across the country. The eagles at Hampton Roads are a couple of weeks older than all the rest and it has been amazing watching their growth. From late Saturday until just a few minutes ago I had been unable to access the site. I was starting to become concerned that perhaps they too had fallen victim to the storms. Sure was nice to see them once again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom