Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

So sorry to hear about your hatch Opa, must be really frustrating!! Its hot here too, heat indexes supposed to be above 110 today. We picked and canned corn this morning and it was miserable out on the back porch with the stove running, but got it done. Plan on doing just one batch each morning since its so hot. If this keeps up all the tomatoes will ripen at once
barnie.gif
Will be interesting to see how many we can process if it happens.
Enjoying being inside in the cool this afternoon....hope everyone is ok and comfortable today.

hugs.gif
I'm sorry, Opa. That must be very aggravating!

CCMH: Wow, that is hot! I hope you can get a good harvest.

There is only one word to adequately describe the weather of late, oppressive. Heat indexes in Michigan should not contain three digits yet that's exactly what we have been having and is predicted for the next week. Except for not wanting to wish my life away, as it is passing by fast enough, I will be glad when October gets here. Maybe we could skip August and September and go directly to fall.

You are absolutely right! DH has been working in Louisiana since January. The heat index has been triple digits for 2 months now, and no relief in the forecast. At least down this way it isn't as unusual as up there. We had to buy a window ac unit for the camper to help the original one in the ceiling! Now we can sleep at night, lol!
wink.png

I spent the morning working on demolition of a house that was woefully neglected for the entire twenty five years that it has existed. When the house was built the owner had the builder install a 10x32' deck on the lake side of the house. He never bothered with flashing and as a result the rim joist and top plate of the wall below have rotted out. Now I will have to support all the floor joists and remove the wall and rebuild it. Well the only thing positive about the repair is that the original builder was able to make an additional 10 bucks by not doing it right and installing flashing.

I worked from 7 until 12:30 and when the heat index hit 110 I quit for the day. The home owner wants it done yesterday but they are just going to have to wait.

I'm home! I have no idea what time it is supposed to be or if I should be eating or sleeping and I am so flipping cold! Only 51 degrees here today, I want 100 back! Yes I do!

We had a lovely time but we are glad to be back (apart from the weather). The SC barbeque FINALLY made it down to FL before we left and it dragged Ranchie along with it. We had a lovely visit although unfortunately for her she ended up having to babysit my kids for a while as someone totalled our rental car and we had to sort that out. And she made a terrible scene in the restaurant at lunch, I was awfully embarrassed..........
tongue.png
But it really was lovely to see her in the flesh, did you all feel your ears burning?
big_smile.png

I haven't caught up with any posts yet but hope everyone is well

Last edited:
Opa, if you get nothing from your hatch of eggs, I have at least a dozen Wellie chicks on order with him for September delivery......I hear that hatches are more Roos in the late summer so we can work something out!

Cheers,
Bonnie

Quote:
ALL hugs were delivered and then some, and I was NOT the one who tried to stab someone else with a fork at lunch.
roll.png
Thistle, typical of her countrymen and women, has the gift of embroidery!
tongue2.gif

It was lovely to see and meet her and her family- her children really are the angels she says they are, her DH is amazingly good natured and handsome, she herself? Gorgeous and tall! I was quite nervous and kept babbling away, she was patient and kind. I guess everyone has that once in a lifetime moment........

smile.png

It is quite amazing when one thinks of all the friendship that have evolved due to a mutual fondness for chickens. Sadly with a great number of the folks we would like to meet we have to be satisfied with internet communication or possibly a phone call now and then. When we are able to meet face to face with someone we have come to know on BYC it is incredible. When the friendship is one that crosses oceans and a face to face meeting becomes possible it is almost beyond belief and is an experienced to be cherished.

I sure wish that I would have been able to have gone to Florida to meet with both Ranchhand and Highlander. Ranchie has become a very dear friend and the Thistle has become my darlin' daughter. I glad that they were able to meet and I'm sure they enjoyed each others company.

My garden has started growing by leaps and bounds and we have been harvesting several varieties of lettuce, raddishes, sugar snap peas, summer squash, zuchinni, and sweet bell peppers. The beans are blooming like crazy and we will probably be picking them by the middle of next week. Thought I'd share a couple of pictures so you can see how it's looking.
10233_garden_2_7_22_11.jpg

10233_garden_7_22_11.jpg

Last edited:
Great pictures, your garden looks wonderful;
thumbsup.gif
you have to tell me though....where did you hide the weeds? Nobodies garden looks that clean
big_smile.png
Do you not have weeds up there? Are they like ticks and chiggers and snakes and you just don't have them??????
tongue.png

We have to weedeat between the corn rows to pick it
lau.gif
and have been known to bushhog before we plowed out potatoes....
gig.gif

Still hot here today; at least we aren't canning. Corn is finished except for fresh eating and seed saving. Beans again on Monday and hopefully some tomatoes next week. Right now out biggest need is RAIN...been so dry!!

Ranchie/Highlander what a wonderful time it must have been for a visit!! So glad you were able to get together.

Have a wonderful afternoon......Blessings, CCMH

Back
Top Bottom