Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

I have an excellent recipe but it will probably take a few days to find it. When I make pasties I usually make at least 3 dozen. Eat a few and freeze the rest. Sure is handy when you want a quick meal.

Quote:
That is a really good idea! I usually cook more then we will eat, I love leftovers, saves me from cooking every night
big_smile.png

Quote:
Don't forget lashings of freshly ground pepper!

Absolutely! I was raised on rutabagas. My dad used to grow them in the garden. I have strange veggie cravings. I even had a cat named Kohlrabi when I was 4.

I am always in charge of making the Yorkshire pudding when my family has prime rib or standing rib roast. Somewhere along the line, we started making individual puddings in cupcake tins. A tablespoon of fat in each cup, then add the batter. We never have a problem with the smoke. It's probably because they are small?

Last edited:
I've never actually made yorkies before. Roast dinner here is usually chicken and skirlie or pork with crackling and all the trimmings. The beef here is wonderful but to get a really good piece costs a fortune.

I'd definitely like that pastie recipe though Sam!

As promised here is the recipe
10233_300px-cornish_pasty.jpg

OPA’S VENISON PASTIES

The Pastry
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup lard or vegetable shortening (or 1 ½ sticks of butter)
6 tablespoons cold water
Sift the flour and salt. Cut in lard for the pie crust. Add water and blend with a fork until it holds together. Shape into a ball. Refrigerate at least two hours before using.

The Filling
1 1/2 pound ground venison
½ pound ground pork
3 cups potatoes ¼” cubes
1 medium onion, diced fine
1 cup rutabaga, ¼” cubes
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon Morton Nature’s Seasonings

Lightly sauté (light pink) venison, pork, and onion. Drain.
Mix together with salt, pepper, Nature’s Seasonings, potatoes and rutabaga. Divide into 6 roughly equal servings, about one cup each.

Take the dough out of the refrigerator, and divide into 6 pieces. Roll each on a floured board forming an 8” circle. Add the filling, and place pat of butter on top. Fold pastry over filling. Seal the edges with water, folding or crimping the edges. Pierce top with fork. Bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F, then for another 45 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until the crust is golden brown.

Back
Top Bottom