Open air and bedding

Laurenj915

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 9, 2015
We live in warm, humid and very rainy (at least all summer) South Florida. We are building an open air coop because I don't want to coop up the chickens in the hot damp air. BUT I am not sure what to do about bedding in the coop and run. The coop will have a roof but one wall will be open (hardware cloth). i am just not sure which bedding to use with all the moisture. We have a pole barn and it is huge but everything in there still gets moisture damage.

What about bedding for the run? I was planning to give the run a hardware cloth roof so it will be wet for days sometimes.

Thank you!

I have seen that many people are using sand. Not the fine sand but course sand so it drains well.
If you do a search for it on here you should find a lot of information.

Yes, i have done many searches of the forums. Some people love sand. Of course, for every one person praising sand there is someone else cursing it. I guess I will just try it out and see how it works.

When I had the place in the country the ground was almost all sand. I hated it since I could not grow a garden but the chickens did very very well with it. It drained well and did not stink. I had about 30 chickens in a pen about 20x50. Yes it was a very large pen.
I guess a lot depends on the kind of sand and whether it will be getting any sun at all. If it were to become saturated and stay damp I believe it would smell.

edited to add

Where I live now I can grow a wonderful garden but the run turns to MUD and I am not a fan of the mud. It is a give and take situation.

Last edited:
Thank you! In your opinion is there a better bedding for a wet area or is coarse sand the best we can do? Our chickens will not be in standing water but the ground will stay wet for long periods of time.

I think pretty much anything organic like hay or straw will be wet and possibly mold. I would stick with sand for where you are at.
Of course someone else may say different.

Have you looked on your states thread to see what others in your neck of the woods are using?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/305793/florida-always-sunny-side-up

I am sure there are nice folks there that would have more info on what your climate can be like and what they are using that works.

I hadn't even thought of that. Thank you! I will check out the Florida thread.

Back
Top Bottom