Open air coop/pen

welasharon

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 28, 2010
North Florida
I first started with an open air pen/coop that was about 8x10. Then of course that was not enough so I decided to build an addition for the banty hen that was being picked on. Course by the time I got the addition done she had integrated just fine so I decided the second pen could be for them all and I was going to need a more protected area for them for winter. I cut an opening between them and am going to hang a screen door between the two pens so I can section them off if need be.
First pen is on the right and was built under an existing arbor to help with the killing Florida heat.

This is the outside (still unpainted) side of the second pen.

This is the view towards the front of my house. The pens are inside my picket fence in the side of my front yard.

This is the roost/nest box in the first pen. I intend to move it into the second one better protected from the elements than from the blue tarp here.

This shot shows the opening going into the second pen and shows the full back and partial side walls for winter protection.

I need to figure out how I want to do the nest box and roost in the protected part. Oh, the first pen had pine shavings and then I pushed it to the back part and added sand. Now, of course, it is a nice mixture of the two. The second pen has pine shavings only for now. I had no idea having chickens was so much work!...but so worth it.
Sharon

Very nice!

The "chicken lifesytle" can certainly provide a lot of exercise with all the construction projects you discover you want to do. That's actually one of the things I like about it. I don't think I've ever been in such good shape, and it's thanks to my chickens!

Back
Top Bottom