open/close doors from both in and out.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by laturcotte1, Aug 19, 2011.

1. laturcotte1

laturcotte1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    When we build our coop 2 years ago we had a very nice rooster. Fox took care of that now we have Stuart the roman warrior. The cords to open and close the coop doors are inside so when we go in (winter nights) to close the doors we have to wait until Stuart is passed out or we go in with a trash can cover. Also we had to add a door and never put a permanent door in so we use the top of a large tupperware container. The trouble is we have to reach in the door to slide it over the opening. The question finally: How can we put in doors so the cables can open from both inside and outside. Life is so much less stressful without a crazy rooster. The doors were positioned under the windows. I thought I could just reach in and open/close that way but there is hardwire on the windows.

2. flyboy129

flyboy129 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    This is just me speaking, so you can take it with a grain of salt. [​IMG] Personally, I would get rid of the problem. Aka, the roo. With children around sometimes, the last thing I want is a psycotic rooster. I have a general rule. Bite the hand that feeds you, the hand that feeds you will eat you. [​IMG]

3. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    ditto--if you really don't need him for anything--out he goes--to the stew pot...[​IMG]

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You get rid of the rooster. Why are you torturing yourself so?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by