Open Coop

Kind of reminds me of my nephew when he was two years old. He was warned not to touch things. They were hot. One day his mom was heating up her curling iron and turned her back. Of course, he could not resist and tried to curl his bangs. After he quit crying, he ran around the house pointing at things that he had been warned not to touch because they were hot and saying "hot" as he pointed at each one. He had a much better undertanding of the concept of "Don't touch", at least for a little while.

Quote:
Snakes in Texas and animals can reach into a wire with that much space in between the wires. Try 1/4" stuff and line the bottom of the run as well and lace it to the sides as well before you fill back in the 6" deep hole. 1/4 to 1/2" would be very protective with the wildlife you have. You did not say city or out of town living but this is my thoughts about the wire you DH wants to use.

Hello, I would love to see a picture of the opossum, raccoon or other sizable bad guy that can get through 2" x 4" welded wire as a PP stated. Snake maybe, mouse ...yes, but Raccoon! Not the big boys we got around here. I have yet to see a predator animal near my chickens in the daylight. It is night time to be concerned with. If your "hen house" is secure, and I mean totally " fort knox secure" you should have no problems, just please stay away from "chicken wire" other than for a trellis to grow something on. Not for secureing your beloved chickens. JUst my opinion for what it's worth. good luck.
Erik

no but arms and claws can get through and grab and claw. Just saying and just an opinion
idunno.gif

Well thats the thing. I'm not worried so much about the run, or daytime predators. I'm worried that DH doesn't want to lock down the actual coop. He wants it open. So if we do it this way, we have to have the run more secure. It makes more sense to me to make him secure the coop because buying a bunch of wire and fencing will be more expensive.
BAH! Just need to talk to him more. All because he doesn't want a gate into the run. Do all of yall have access into the run. Do I need it? Or just to be able to get into the coop? Ugh.. Decisions!

Quote:
I am in the run all day doing things from loving the birds, cleaning, watering, changing out the wood chips. I would say you need a lot of access to make it easy to deal with a lot of things inside for the chickens. JMHO

Hey, It will be fine....just do the homework and build what ya can and what works for you. Everyone has their opinion and what has worked in their case. I do have a gate to run. Also have door from coop into run. In my humble opinion, raising chickens is supposed to be a joy, not a chore...otherwise, I would not have ventured into it at the expense and level I did. I am building coops for them as well as for us. I want them to look good, easy maintenence and to provide their needs. I have learned here...on BYC and from talking to long time chicken farmers in my area that the chickens will basically take care of themselves, as long as you provide them their basics. Food, water and a safe enviroment to roost and lay. Simple right? It can get complicated if ya let it. Just keep it simple......or go crazy if ya feel like it. Good luck.
Erik

I have a gate to my girls run but my coop is in the middle of the run so I need it. How ever I would think a gate would be beneficial to the run. I clean out my run every few months. Rake, and add some shaving for something to scratch in. I hide meal worms and crickets. I like the idea of a 3 sided coop.I know they were pretty popular way back when. Using hardware cloth is more expensive but it's a lot stronger and keeps them safe. I look at them as not only an investment but as my pets and would feel very very bad if I lost any because I didn't take extra measures to keep them safe. Then again that's JMHO. Good luck and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom