Open front coop done, chicken yard in progress

Pics
20190512_063524.jpg
20190512_063550.jpg
20190512_075057.jpg
20190512_082122.jpg
20190512_082101.jpg

The bigs and littles spent some time together today. The bigs pecked here and there over scratch but left without hurting anyone. I'm fortunate to have a pretty laid back flock.

I removed the heat plate and moved water to where it'll stay in the shade. We also added a pvc feeder in there so they'll get used to it but still feeding in a big terra cotta saucer too.

Removed the hay from the floor of the big house, I'm debating about putting more in there but haven't decided yet.

The bigs are used to the pvc feeder in the coop so we've made a couple more for the yard. They keep the pigeons out of the feed perfectly. We're going to make a smaller version for the mini coop so the littles know they mean food.

Is the lid to provide shade or to protect the feed from rain?

Splendid set-up you have there!

Thanks! I forgot to say in my last post, your baby Naked Necks are adorable! :love

Thank you again ! I am switching my flock over to all Naked Necks this year once the babies grow out. They're actually barnyard mutts with nn genes in the mix.

I see you have a Welsummer. Do you have other breeds as well?

Thank you again ! I am switching my flock over to all Naked Necks this year once the babies grow out. They're actually barnyard mutts with nn genes in the mix.

Are you doing that because the NN/mix are better with the heat or other reasons? I'm just curious!

I - well, the chicken! - hatched a NN-mix a few years ago. She was my favourite from the clutch but unfortunately she came to an early demise. The chicken in question was broody and a friend's brother gave me some eggs from his flock, which are a mixed bunch; mostly Andalusians and some NN/mixes.

I see you have a Welsummer. Do you have other breeds as well?

Yes! I also have an Australorp and a Coucou de Rennes, plus three new pullets: a Black Copper Marans, a blue/gold Araucana (without ear tufts) and a golden Leghorn. Separately I have three roosters that are a Pita Pinta Asturiana x Euskal Oiola cross. They were the result of purchasing two pullets, where one turned out to be a rooster!

Back
Top Bottom