Open front coop done, chicken yard in progress

Pics
Well thank you :) I'm happy to know you like it! I spend very little time having to clean. Except with the broody in there. The dish in one of my pics disappeared a few days ago and she unearthed it again today :gig

Are you in the Phoenix metro area?
No, I'm in Tucson. My coop will be about 7x12, so I'll have room for roosting, feeding, and brooding / breaking broodies. It will be in the corner of my yard, which has cinderblock walls, so only one short side will be plywood. All other sides will be wire mesh (but two are against cinderblock) and the front will have removable panels similar to yours for the winter but will be open for air flow in the summer. I'm planting a tree to provide shade for the front side, but shade cloth will help until the tree gets big.

No, I'm in Tucson. My coop will be about 7x12, so I'll have room for roosting, feeding, and brooding / breaking broodies. It will be in the corner of my yard, which has cinderblock walls, so only one short side will be plywood. All other sides will be wire mesh (but two are against cinderblock) and the front will have removable panels similar to yours for the winter but will be open for air flow in the summer. I'm planting a tree to provide shade for the front side, but shade cloth will help until the tree gets big.

You're still hot :sick

I hope you post pics as you go or when you're done. I'm always looking for improvements :) I never thought about having chicks again or dealing with a broody. Fortunately we did so little at first that adding or changing stuff isn't too complicated.

I will suggest that you have the option to cover the other walls with panels if you don't build with 3 solid walls and one open. We do get down to freezing, can get some stiff breezes even when it's chilly and during monsoons you don't want your birds getting soaked on the roost all night. Also, a solid wall helps block some of the heat that radiates from the block walls that surround our yards.

Good luck and share pics!

You're still hot :sick

I hope you post pics as you go or when you're done. I'm always looking for improvements :) I never thought about having chicks again or dealing with a broody. Fortunately we did so little at first that adding or changing stuff isn't too complicated.

I will suggest that you have the option to cover the other walls with panels if you don't build with 3 solid walls and one open. We do get down to freezing, can get some stiff breezes even when it's chilly and during monsoons you don't want your birds getting soaked on the roost all night. Also, a solid wall helps block some of the heat that radiates from the block walls that surround our yards.

Good luck and share pics!
The wire sides (besides the front) will be directly against cinderblock, and covered by a roof, so wind and rain won't be able to get in there. Would you recommend plywood walls anyhow?

The wire sides (besides the front) will be directly against cinderblock, and covered by a roof, so wind and rain won't be able to get in there. Would you recommend plywood walls anyhow?

I dunno. Try it and see how it works. I would be most concerned about wind. I have a wall on one side only so different situation.

I'm having an issue with the nest boxes. Everyone wants to lay in the same box of course, and all that jostling makes the hay fall out and then eggs are sitting on the plastic bottoms and get broken. Plus, they have a helpful drain hole that allows hay to fall out there too. On the flip side the girls don't like anything I've put on the floor.

I'm thinking floor and they can get over it.

20190120_142200_Signature.jpg

Added a gravity feeder to the coop today.

20190128_162103_Signature-1_Signature.jpg

Rooster is Fugly, 6 months
Nn hens are Nyx and Nova, 1.5 years
2 RIRs are Ruby and Scarlet, 2 years
Black Aussie is Pepper, 2 years
Welsummer is Nugget, 2 years
EE is Tris, 2 years

Back
Top Bottom