Open Letter to the People who FREAK OUT because I eat my chickens.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of my friends say when disaster strikes or the government collapses under its own debt they are all headed out to my place.

I tell them they had better not show up empty handed and be ready to work. Or they will get nothing more than the view of the business end of a 30-06. No freeloaders at my place either, neither friend nor fowl.

Booker81, Did I read correctly? You EAT your chickens........without inviting me?
lau.gif
Nothing better than FRESH!!
droolin.gif

I am fortunate enough to live around folks who get it. I few weeks ago when I had to dispatch an uppity rooster the first question I got was, "did you eat it yet?" I have a no freeloaders policy too. My wife has a cat that slipped in before the policy took effect. He better catch a mouse or two this fall just to be safe though.

Im a vegetarian because I really dont want to support the mass killing and horrible treatment of supermarket meat animals...of all kinds:/ I am just starting to raise my own turkeys and chickens for fresh eggs and as pets, I could never think of killing them however for those of you who can...good for you. I would rather have people do that and give them a good life than support the abuse the poor animals go through to get to the supermarket:/ People are ignorant who think people that raise there own meat are sick, if they eat meat in the grocery store...they just want to keep there eyes shut and do what's best and easiest for THEM! Most of them either dont care, or dont want to know. I do think though that a certain amount of respect should be given to the animal being killed, at least have some compassion, do it quick...and dont waste:/

Well said!

I raise all my own meat and eggs now, and most of my own dairy products--which will be all my own dairy starting next spring when there's enough goats being milked.

I don't support the way meat, egg, and dairy animals are usually raised for the grocery store, or the trash they are fed or injected with to make them produce better. My animals are not pets, but they are treated with kindness, respect, and love until the end. Goats and chickens get petted all the way to the slaughtering area to keep them calm and we end it quickly and humanely. I think a lot of people who only eat what they buy at the grocery store don't really stop to think that an animal had to die to put that meat on their plate, and my animals are treated way better than the ones who went to the grocery store. It is sad to me whenever we do have to kill some food animals. We don't eat much meat, maybe once a week at the most.

There is a crazy lady living near me who buys up every farm animal she can get her hands on, so that no one will eat them, their babies, their eggs, or their milk, and then hoards them all on a few acres she calls an "animal sanctuary" where they are underfed and never receive medical care. I have adopted some goats from her, and honestly, it would have been more humane to eat them in the first place rather than put them through years of suffering and neglect. We had one die despite the best in medical care, the poor thing should have been 130 pounds but was more like 75 and could hardly stand up because of infection in its feet. What kind of life is that?

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif
been teaching my daughter where her food comes from this summer, she has had a blast learning about it. It extended from fruits, vegies and herbs to eggs, poultry and red meats. she had fun visiting different farms with me and learning the value. she loves animals but she agrees animals should have a good life prior to serving their purpose. but she did tell me that once the pig comes to live with us, we cannot turn it into bacon!!! lol

it is all right to cill and eat your birds, i have problem if they go by a slow death. i go to the store and buy chicken beast for my mother to eat. i starting to eat my eggs from my girls but i dont believe i could eat my girls myself, i will sell them when they stop laying eggs for us and that person coulds cill them.

i have problem to cull animal for only for sport
laura

Quote:
big_smile.png

There is a sign on our chicken coop that says "If you can read this your in range" I'll post when I get a chance.
tongue2.gif

I figure if I'm eating MY chickens (spare roo's) and MY eggs, I’m less likely to get Salmonella poisoning or something worse. Most of the problems we have with the food we consume is from the packing plants and the chemicals and other non-natural byproducts.

I think we should all go back to the way our Grandparents did things and only raise what we need and raise it ourselves. It's called self-sufficiency.

My 2 cents . . . you owe me change
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom