Open mouth breathin?

dlynne1123

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Should I be concerned about open mouthed(beaked) breathing? Too hot? I found my two teenagers in the hottest weather so far still trying to squeeze into a box together! I felt them, they didn't feel too hot to me. Is this just how they sleep and I surprised them by checking on them? Everyone else's mouths were closed. We are having the hottest weather in a while though. The coop is vented, not sure what else I can do to co them off.

Thanks!

They do sort of pant when they get hot. Mine have been doing that some, and I think it helps cool them, along with holding their wings out sometimes........I just make sure my flock has plenty of cold water (I actually put two buckets out for them), and shade too...

Mine are open mouth breathing, but it is really quite hot here today - over 90. I'm not concerned, I keep throwing ice cubes into their water periodically to keep their water cold, and gave them some dirt to roll around in.

I'm pretty sure that it's normal. Mine only do it when it's very hot outside, they hold their wings out a little and just sort of pant. I'd maybe give them a little bit of an electrolyte to help them out. But otherwise as long as they have plenty of water they should be fine. You could also put a fan somewhere where they can get a good breeze from it. That would help as well.

excessive panting can take up lots of energy and can in fact be fatal, but it is a "normal" thing in hot weather. It's 102 here, day 3 of this weather, and I have electrolytes in their water now, a HUGE Metal fan on them, an umbrella in the coop for shade, and also frozen ice blocks (in empty juicy juice bottles) for them to lay against to keep cool. If you search for chicken panting you will find lots of resources. You can also use a mister, but part of the problem here is the 70% humidity, so I am avoiding that for now.

Thanks it's been in the 90s three days in a row, even at night and I think they are too hot. There is water and they can separate if they want. They just choose to be coddled together in one box together! Silly birds! Just checked on them again, 9pm and all open mouthed. They aren't near our house so not sure what I can do for electric fans. Hope the water is enough!

Back
Top Bottom