open these areas as ventilation is enough?

newowner001

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2021
Boston, MA
I am planning to make these triangle areas uncovered, only put hardware cloth there. Basically, all spaces directly under the roof will be just guarded by hardware cloth only. Is this good enough for ventilation? I am in Boston MA. My chicken will be ok during the winter under this condition? I only have five chickens. That is the max number allowed.

Any other comments, please let me know.

2021-06-15_211636.jpg

I am planning to make these triangle areas uncovered, only put hardware cloth there. Basically, all spaces directly under the roof will be just guarded by hardware cloth only. Is this good enough for ventilation? I am in Boston MA. My chicken will be ok during the winter under this condition? I only have five chickens. That is the max number allowed.

Any other comments, please let me know.

View attachment 2720474
You have learned well, grasshopper!

I LOVE that style of ventilation!

Right at the top like that is a good place to put the ventilation. Does it add up to 5 square feet? If not, your best bet would be to add another vent at the top of the highest wall and put a top-hinged cover on it since there's not much roof overhang there. :)

Ventilation will be just as important in the winter as in the summer because of the moisture that could cause frostbite.

Back
Top Bottom