Opening the gate to the peafowl and guinea pen...

critters

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2011
The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia!
yep! I opened the gate and let them out around noon today , half day being their first day out....
and most were great about going back in close to sundown...

26 guineas and 6 peafowl.....1 guinea would not go in, he sat next to an adult peacock in the tree
very set in his choice to stay out....and 3 peafowl sat mid way up the tree, one branch below
Snowy, an adult pea and 2 branches below Blu, the adult male and boss...
feel sure they will be ok and very glad they stuck around...
ya.gif

the peas were born around March 2011 and the guineas about September 2011

took Deerman's advice and let only 1/2 of peas out, but now they are in a tree...
hmmm, guess ok, like I said, they are still here...they stuck around !!

Last edited:
If you want them in the pen nights keep their feed in there for them to go in and out and eat during the day. Give them a treat early enough inside so you can close the door for the evening. I've noticed the younger ones will go into the trees earlier for the night. If you feed once or twice a day put the food in the pen. I'm sure happy I didn't let any out. You probably already this but just in case though I'd mention it.
smile.png

LOL, sorry, meant to continue after "I'm happy I didn't let any ou"t. We've got some severe thunder, lightening and rain . I have a terrified Mini Aussie and both need to go potty but are holding it for now, LOL!!! I do have 4 peafowl in one of our big old growth Live Oak trees. Feel bad for them.

I know what you mean when you get any kind of bad weather those that sleep
in the trees generally get wet,blown,frozen and what ever the elements throw at them.

but yeah, the young guineas are returning nicely to the pen at night..I do keep feeding
them in their pen and they are good little boys and girls and come in and eat and get on
a roost to sleep.I put food into their pen around 4 ish and by 5:30 when I go back out
the guineas and chickens are in their pen ( seperate pens)
wee.gif
and some roosting/sleeping by then!

they are doing well !!

Back
Top Bottom