Operation Rehab...is there any hope for her?

She is VERY alert! Really really wants to be by the other ducks but I don't want to subject her to anymore pecks so I made her makeshift pen right in the ducks side of the barn so she can still see them. Even if she doesn't walk again she will always have a home with me. I won't give up on her. Already thinking about getting her a little duck diaper and taking her with me wherever I go. But I want to see if she gets any better. If I hold her chest up with my hand she will lean on it and walk. So maybe a makeshift ducky wheelchair? If I didn't have a husky that would eat her in my house she would be in it :'( She is such a sweetheart. I'm thinking it was caused from a niacin deficiency. And I am concerned due to her age that she won't make a full recovery but we will see, I just couldn't leave her there though

I've even been washing her butt
idunno.gif
It's so dirty I think because she can't make it into a pool or anything to preen herself. I stuck her in my kiddie pool for a couple minutes and she can swim just can't move to good on land I will get better pics of her tomorrow and post them. I'll just keep updating this thread instead of making a new one for those of you who want to know how she's doing.

I've also named her Ling, it's chinese for delicate. And I think it suits her
Not a duck person, but getting her on the proper feed and letting her swim as much as she can as often as she can sounds like the great plan to get her back on her feet (pun was intended) Swimming is good therapy.
fl.gif
for her

Need help.....had Ling today, let her swim then took her out and sat her on the grass next to me. Now she is still eating and drinking, and is overall starting to look better, however, I checked her legs out again and the left one, the one that seems to be giving her problems, is very obviously swollen in comparison to the right and is very hot to the touch. I don't see any obvious signs of a break or laceration of any type. I called my vet and he told me to put her down
hit.gif

Need help.....had Ling today, let her swim then took her out and sat her on the grass next to me. Now she is still eating and drinking, and is overall starting to look better, however, I checked her legs out again and the left one, the one that seems to be giving her problems, is very obviously swollen in comparison to the right and is very hot to the touch. I don't see any obvious signs of a break or laceration of any type. I called my vet and he told me to put her down
hit.gif
It sounds similar to this case:

http://www.duckrescuenetwork.org/DRNBoard/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=10770

hit.gif
I think you need to find another vet. I read the posts in the link Kevin gave you. Sounds like an infection, try soaking in Epsom salt like was mentioned then on Monday if no better maybe see about a rehab facility that maybe able to help you or another vet if you can afford it.I have a medicine comparison chart that came with an order from Twin City Poultry supplies, and it recc. Penicillin for blood born infections, cuts and scrapes. so maybe do some penn. injections or in her water and see if that does any good,. I sure wouldn't write her off now.I would think if she was very sick she wouldn't be eating or drinking,.

Last edited:
I think you need to find another vet. I read the posts in the link Kevin gave you. Sounds like an infection, try soaking in Epsom salt like was mentioned then on Monday if no better maybe see about a rehab facility that maybe able to help you or another vet if you can afford it.I have a medicine comparison chart that came with an order from Twin City Poultry supplies, and it recc. Penicillin for blood born infections, cuts and scrapes. so maybe do some penn. injections or in her water and see if that does any good,. I sure wouldn't write her off now.I would think if she was very sick she wouldn't be eating or drinking,.
I think Epsom salt soak is definitely worth a try. And yes, I would ignore that vet's advice. The penicillin idea also sounds reasonable to me. You have just started working with her. Stick with it, sometimes we lose them, but many times we do not.
hugs.gif

Thanks guys..theres no way I want to give up on her now :( We have penicilan here on the farm (I live on a dairy farm) how much should I put in her water? Here's a picture of her today...she definetly looks 100x better

I don't but I do have a scale to weigh her. She's small, I want to say about the size of a 3 week old....our 4 week old pekin girls tower over her and she's approx 8 weeks herself

Last edited:
I don't but I do have a scale to weigh her. She's small, I want to say about the size of a 3 week old....our 4 week old pekin girls tower over her and she's approx 8 weeks herself
Still weight is probably how you determine dosage. She looks great! your doing a great job and I think that vet needs to take down his/her sign.

Back
Top Bottom