Operation Rehab...is there any hope for her?

PetesMom

Songster
7 Years
Mar 28, 2012
Columbia County, NY
Well I went and got 2 more buff orps, a hen and a roo(I think), and traded one of my pekins for one of them....anyways as we are down trying to catch the baby chickens I see this sad little duck sitting in the woods :( Me being the animal lover I am I asked what was wrong with it and she said she didn't really know but she can't walk. She is basically bald because of the other ducks, and the roosters trying to breed with it. I asked if I could have her so I brought her home, set up her own little area and gave her some nutridrench.....also put some of that in her water and also put some vitamin/electrolytes in her water also, and of course food. She told me they were giving her chicken scratch. And also stated that she use to be fine. I'm hoping she pulls through even if she doesn't regain complete mobility. I'll just get her a diaper and take her wherever I go. She can also swim. Is there any hope for her? I mean will she live? I know that's kind of an unanswerable question but man I feel so bad and feel very attached to her already
Here are some pictures, I've named her Ling, which mean delicate in chinese

Her feet

Her little area to herself

And here's a video of her

Also not entirely sure how old she is....maybe 5 or 6 weeks as she has alot of feathers (well the ones that are there) She's really small though alot smaller then my 4 week old pekins

Last edited:
As a newbie to all this I can't offer any advice either, but I hope she'll be okay! She's a very cute little duck. Keep us posted on her recovery. I'm hoping for the best.

It will probably be fine one of mallard drakes got torn up by our dog when they both got out that was maybe two weeks ago and the duck is fine now hes just missing some feathers

It will probably maybe a month or so before he got more feathers back

Oh, you are so wonderful to take her. And not to punch that person in the head for being stupid. I really hope she turns around for you. There is nothing like taking a needy animal and making their live good again. Please keep us posted on her progress.
Grrrrrr......stupid stupid people.

She is VERY alert! Really really wants to be by the other ducks but I don't want to subject her to anymore pecks so I made her makeshift pen right in the ducks side of the barn so she can still see them. Even if she doesn't walk again she will always have a home with me. I won't give up on her. Already thinking about getting her a little duck diaper and taking her with me wherever I go. But I want to see if she gets any better. If I hold her chest up with my hand she will lean on it and walk. So maybe a makeshift ducky wheelchair? If I didn't have a husky that would eat her in my house she would be in it :'( She is such a sweetheart. I'm thinking it was caused from a niacin deficiency. And I am concerned due to her age that she won't make a full recovery but we will see, I just couldn't leave her there though

I've even been washing her butt
idunno.gif
It's so dirty I think because she can't make it into a pool or anything to preen herself. I stuck her in my kiddie pool for a couple minutes and she can swim just can't move to good on land I will get better pics of her tomorrow and post them. I'll just keep updating this thread instead of making a new one for those of you who want to know how she's doing.

I've also named her Ling, it's chinese for delicate. And I think it suits her

Last edited:
We had a goose attacked by a husky, she was unable to walk. Vet said to put her in water so she had no weight on her legs. Then take each leg and gently bicycle her legs in the water a couple times a day. Message her feet so thet don't atrophy. It took a few months but she now walks sometimes a little limp in colder weather, you might give it a try. Lucy had a chipped hip and very bruised organs, but patience and love, which it sounds like you have maybe all you need. Good luck and keep us posted.

She wasn't attacked though....I was told she was normal when they got her, and I also heard they were feeding her chicken scratch....which is what is making me think of a niacin deficiency.

I was thinking more about keeping the strength in her little legs. The vet was concerned with the legs atrophy from lack of use. If you carry her around she may lose her ability to eventually walk. So I just meant to add this to your nutritional supplements. Sorry about any misunderstanding just trying to help. Give her hugs from me! You are doing a great thing!

Back
Top Bottom