opinion poll do you think Silkies or Cochins make better brooder hens

Silkies cannot cover very many eggs. If you go with standard Cochins you can put 12 eggs under them very easy.

Definitely something to factor into the decision. Also Cochins are much better in the colder climates and their standard feathers handle rain and snow better.

I agree about then not as good for teaching their chicks about danger. I have mine guarded by my loving "Snowball" she is a great pyrenees that we have raised just to protect "my" babies. And also concur about hatching/sitting on less eggs, they just do not have the body weight for more than 8-9 IMHO but I pull them and incubate them myself.

I love watching the babies "escape" their shell.
jumpy.gif
Mother Nature is just amazing!

To each their own but I do love my silkies the best, not to say I don't pick up and cuddle all the other birds I have...I am just a sucker when it comes to animals. The local police department brings me all the strays and they know I can't say no. Guess I spend am just destined to love and care for them. Luckily I can still afford to feed everyone. lol

Well there were a lot of good opinions here but I have decided on cochins I am ordering some blue and some partridge i that breed.

I had two silkie hens that were broody at the same time. They were actually sitting on the same nest, and when a chick hatched they both wanted it! So i gave one hen the chicks and moved her, and gave the other chicken the nest. Unfortunately when more chicks hatched the sitting chicken was too occupied with the eggs to watch them carefully. One drowned, one suffocated, one disappeared, and one is still alive. She's currently sitting on it and more eggs.

Back
Top Bottom