Opinions? Help needed!! What is this noise my ayeslbury is making?

Sorry to keep wittering on but I’ve made her an appointment, the earliest I could get was tomorrow at 9am. Does anyone think I should isolate her away from the rest of the flock? It’s also a lot more prevalent and happening more often when she is taking food and fluids which I think in a way is discouraging her from it.

She's been with them all along I wouldn't unless the vet rec it. Hopefully it isn't anything contagious.
When she eats does she eat like it's her last meal? Asking because that is usually when I hear it. My birds have feed down from daylight till early evening and some still eat like it's their last meal and get choked till they work it down.
What you duck is doing sounds worse than what my birds do but if it is respiratory and she has been around everyone separating now isn't going to change anything,

She seems to be doing it after she has a drink more than food and I’ve picked up that she’s wheezing slightly. I think it’s become more prominent since Saturday, would gapeworm also be an option or is a respiratory infection more likely? She does tend to gorge but she’s just had a drink and made the sound multiple times, then eaten some chopped tomato after and hadn’t made the sound 😣

I couldn’t even wait I got her in today at 20 past 5 at a different vets. She became very stressed and was panting and as we entered the vets she had an anal prolapse and was attempting to push. We got seen by the vet who pushed her prolapse in and she is now passing faeces okay and was on the car journey there, could it have happened due to the stress? He then informed me he has no real experience and very limited experience with ducks so wouldn’t see me!! So I’m getting seen tonight by another vets at 20 past 7. I just need some help 😭 she’s still making the noise more frequently, I hope this vets can offer some kind of solution or diagnosis.

Attachments

• 34A2C0E0-BB2D-4279-A5D2-4DC90B3C0269.jpeg
    34A2C0E0-BB2D-4279-A5D2-4DC90B3C0269.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 2
Helllo my goodness…

I went to the next vet and indeed she prolapsed again at the same time inside the vets! She took her in the back and came out with an egg that had an extremely soft and jelly shell, she had been egg bound. I’m getting her some liquid calcium to add to her water and she’s inside resting for a few days as she’s sore and swollen. I have some anti inflammatory and pain relief medication for her too. The lady had said to me that the noise would have been one of discomfort so I was way off thinking it was a respiratory problem. I hope this forum helps someone else but she’s extremely tired and I’ve got her in a dark room with an electrolyte drink. Thank you Miss Lydia 💗

wow that is great she got it out and the prolapse is good now. Bless her heart she was in pain. It is very hard for them to pass those types of eggs I have seen my ducks and a few chickens struggle laying them. The Liquid Calcium Gluconate is really good for helping an egg pass and a good way to give them added calcium.
Let us know how she is doing, I'm sure she will enjoy your TLC

I went out first thing this morning and got her some crushed oyster shells as I have such limited pet shops which do things for ducks and she’s had a fair bit of that, I have ordered some liquid calcium online and it’s on it’s way to me :) she has been making that sound still but it’s more infrequent and less which is great. The only thing I’ll mention is she’s had this awful crunching/crackling sound from her stomach/back end and seems to tense, could that indicate that she’s got another egg moving down at all? She’s currently on her second warm, long bath of the day 😊

Usually that is the gizzard grinding up what they have eaten. I have never heard of being able to hear an egg moving not saying it hasn't happened.
Hopefully a few more days and she'll be feeling really good again. Be sure to put the Oyster shell in a container close to their food but not in it

Back
Top Bottom