Opinions Needed - Bumblefoot Surgery?

Thank you for that, that was awfully nice of you!!
Makes me feel better that I am on the right track. I'm flushing and debriding, and the SMZ-TMP is definitely helping, so will continue and hope for the best. His foot looked much better during dressing change and flushing yesterday. Will have to find a source for the Baytril Otic.......

Thank you for the detailed response! My roo would probably tolerate the booties well, if I can get him to the point where they actually look like they will try to heal I will probably go with them at that point. He's pretty tolerant overall. My hen, who's foot is not nearly so severe, I'm quite sure would freak out and lay on her back and throw a theatrical fit and have them off in half a second. I have to wrap her up halfway to her hock to keep anything on. :th
I will have to see if I can find the Baytril Otic (am vet shopping now, so hopefully the new one will be a bit more open), it would be good to have on hand.
Thank you for the info on dosing, he's currently on 100mg/kg twice a day (his foot was REALLY bad), and I will do that for 10 days ( unless he takes a turn for the worse) and reassess then. He's tolerating it very well so far and swelling is much reduced. But I will need to reduce the dose beyond that I think if he's not much better at the end of 10 days, but there has been a marked improvement so far, so fingers crossed. I'm currently giving it in a mashed up bit of hotdog with honey, and he takes it OK. May have to syringe him as he feels better and gets a bit more feisty.
Thanks again!

I'm really hoping your boy pulls through! It's tough to spend so much time trying to make them heal and have things not work the way you'd hoped they would.

Kasper had his surgery today and the vet says he came through very well. I haven't seen him yet - I'm at work - but my other half reports that he was talking, eating, and has finally settled down in his dog crate to sleep. Apparently he entertained the vet's office by crowing very loudly all afternoon. :)

The vet did sent off a bacterial culture. I'll be very interested to know just what we've been fighting in that foot. The infection was quite widespread and we'll be flushing and re-bandaging a lot while it heals. I believe they also sent him home with SMZ for the time being. That may change after we get the results from the culture. Fingers crossed!!

Thanks for the update! Glad he's doing well.. Fingers crossed for you. The SMZ has done well so far for mine, his foot has improved and swelling is down. Time will tell.

Another update on Kasper, my roo with the foot abcess. He has his surgery last Tuesday and yesterday we took him in for the follow-up exam. The culture had come back and did not include any staph bacteria, but a couple of worrisome others; klebsiella, enterobacter, and acinetobacter. Yikes. Lots of antibiotic resistance there, including resistance to SMZ. We elected to give him another course of baytril. We've been following the vet's advice of a quick soak in warm epsom bath, flushing the abcess well with sterile saline solution, then sugaring the abcess and bandaging with a thick pad that has a hole cut in the center and vet wrap over top. We do this twice a day. This procedure has been working very well and the Dr. was pleased with the progress. We're going to have a house rooster for at least another week but it's well worth it!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom