opinions on diatomaceous earth?

You're thinking of a less common type of tapeworm that Safeguard fenbendazole doesn't kill; but it most certainly does kill the more common tapeworms.

I have watched tapeworms die, diminish, and disappear from infested rescued dogs over the years using various wormers, including ones from the vet. So when I say I watched DE kill the tapeworms in my rescued dog and in her pups, that's exactly what happened. And since DE kills mechanically instead of chemically, I don't see why it wouldn't kill every type of tapeworm.

I think there's too much bias, and some of it is financially motivated. I had an excellent vet in his 70s, one of two best in a town that revolved around the professional horse industry, and by association hounds and all sporting dogs, which had cutting edge vet care, and he wasn't biased towards either traditional or alternstive medicine. He said neither one can cure everything.

He would use whatever worked best in each case, sometimes traditional and sometimes natural. He didn't care about peer pressure. He successfully treated kennels full of heartworm positive dogs with Levamisole boluses orally so they could still run and hunt during treatment. He said that always worked in the old days, so he saw no reason to switch to the modern Imiticide Arsenic derived cure, especially since it doesn't cure all the heartworms...something vets don't tell you.

So, I make it my business to find out whether or not a thing works, and I'm not biased. If I can save money using DE and the animal fares as well as if I'd used a chemical, I'll use DE. But if not, I'll use a chemical. My top priority is relieving the suffering of the animal. I have seen many natural home remedies work as well or better than chemicals, but I've also seen the chemicals work better.

The vet books I have say that fenbendazole does not kill the common type of tapes that they get from fleas.

-Kathy

Opinion on DE = I bought it about 15-20 years ago, long before I had chickens. Got it to use in my garden for pest control as it was all the rage in the gardening magazines. Used it and didn't see much difference. It was hard to keep on the leaves but could be sprinkled around the base of the plant. Big problem was that you had to reapply every time it rained or during times of high humidity as the moisture made it ineffective.

Seems to me that the same would occur in the moisture of a birds gut if you're feeding it to the bird for worm control.

As I'm in a humid area, DE didn't do much for my garden. I will say it did a good job keeping slugs away from my hosta's but only if there was no humidity or rain.

DE now seems to be all the rage in the backyard chicken community just as it was in the gardening community those many years ago. If it makes someone feel good to use it, then they certainly should. However, chickens have been thriving long before DE was the hot ticket and I'm sure they'll continue to thrive without it. Mine have.

Which kinds of bugs prefer wet or dry conditions? From what I've seen in my garden, the wetter a place is, the worse it smells and the smaller and squishier the bugs are. The larger things such as spiders and earwigs prefer it on the dryer side. If I put DE down, it would disproportionately affect those more predatory animals.

Opinion on DE = I bought it about 15-20 years ago, long before I had chickens. Got it to use in my garden for pest control as it was all the rage in the gardening magazines. Used it and didn't see much difference. It was hard to keep on the leaves but could be sprinkled around the base of the plant. Big problem was that you had to reapply every time it rained or during times of high humidity as the moisture made it ineffective.

Seems to me that the same would occur in the moisture of a birds gut if you're feeding it to the bird for worm control.

As I'm in a humid area, DE didn't do much for my garden. I will say it did a good job keeping slugs away from my hosta's but only if there was no humidity or rain.

DE now seems to be all the rage in the backyard chicken community just as it was in the gardening community those many years ago. If it makes someone feel good to use it, then they certainly should. However, chickens have been thriving long before DE was the hot ticket and I'm sure they'll continue to thrive without it. Mine have. 

Liquid and moisture don't stop DE from getting rid of worms in animals, or from killing bugs. The rain can wash it all away, though, so then you need to reapply it.

The vet books I have say that fenbendazole does not kill the common type of tapes that they get from fleas.

-Kathy

Okay, you're right, according to Safeguard's website fenbendazole kills taenia tapeworm that dogs get from eating prey.

So far, it's always killed any tapeworms my dogs got though, and even though I live in the country and they do eat dead or live prey sometimes, I believe they've gotten tapes from fleas too. I guess I can say just use the Safequard and if you still see tapes try Droncit or DE. DE definitely killed all the tapes in my mama dog and her puppies.

Last edited:
Quote:
Generic Drontal

Four of the tablets below are almost equal to one feline Drontal (Drontal is available as an oral tablet that contains 18.2 mg praziquantel and 72.6 mg pyrantel pamoate).

http://www.jedds.com/-strse-510/MEDIWORM-TABLETS-100-ct/Detail.bok

A broadspectrum deworming tablet for pigeons, raptors and galliforms. Mediworm is currently the only broadspectrum single dose, combination tablet, known of in the world. Highly effective against Roundworm, Hairworm and Tapeworm.

Extremely safe, causes no regurgitation and is very economical. The small size of the tablet makes it easy to dose. Mediworm is the golden standard in routine deworming.

Composition:
. Pyrantel Pamoate 20mg
. Praziquantel 5mg

Dosage Treatment:
. May be used in the breeding and racing season.
. Dose one Mediworm tablet per pigeon. The tablet must be dosed on an empty crop.
. In case of severe worm infestations, it is advisable to repeat the treatment after 14 days.

Available Sizes; 100 tablets.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom