1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

opinions on diatomaceous earth?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hannahchicken, May 13, 2015.

1. ConPollos

ConPollos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2015
    Wow, thank you! That's really interesting! I've used fish antibiotics for my dogs before. How do you use it for chickens? What's the dosage?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  2. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012

3. ConPollos

Mar 21, 2015

Thanks so much!

I just found one of my 5 week old EE pullets dead. She was a beautiful blue gray with a peach shawl. I'm so sad. They all seem fine.

The feed store owner only had medicated feed, but I didn't want to buy it because I've been feeding NatureWise grower with probiotics from TSC. But he challenged me about it and I said I'd never had a problem with coccidiosis, and didn't want to medicate them unless they needed it. I had been advised at TSC not to give medicated feed, but I came home feeling worried, like maybe the man was right, and I had an ominous feeling today when the birds didn't seem as active as usual. I gave them a banana and tomatoe, their first treats. They haven't had DE or other supplements. All the poop looked normal, they've had plenty of water. Is there a thread I can post on abput this?

She was laid flat on her side with the top wing raised up over her head. She seemed kind of flattened. I'm heartbroken.

4. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012

5. ConPollos

Mar 21, 2015

Thanks, I just read one of your posts on an old thread about Corrid. I'll get it tomorrow. It's just odd how that happened a day after the feed store man kind of pressed me to use medicated feed. He was probably right.

6. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    My experience is that sufficient humidity alone will make it ineffective. The substance was still visibly there but so were the bugs. Either the humidity impacted its effectiveness or it simply does not work as a bug killer on plants. With the exception of slugs, I will say it is effective to repel them when the DE has not been exposed to any moisture, including high humidity.

As it was so ineffective in reducing pests from our plants that we never purchased it again.

7. ConPollos

Mar 21, 2015

Hmmm, well, all I know is it totally killed all the tapeworms my dogs had even though I mixed it into their food with water, and it was in their stomach with all the internal fluids.

8. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

You might find this link very useful :)
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/p...against internal parasites in chickens&alt=sh

This one is even better :D

http://m.ps.oxfordjournals.org/content/90/7/1416.short

DE does, in fact, decrease load in intestinal parasites. It's all I use, personally. Never had an occurrence of worms. Make sure its food grade :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    DE is a waste of money and is ineffective as a worm preventative and worm treatment. Been there, done that... a LONG time ago. I suggest that you study the nematode, cestode and to a lesser degree, the trematode lifecycle.

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  10. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

Some of "us people" have learned, YEARS ago, that DE us VERY effective,... WHEN USED PROPERLY. I have studied microbes, nematodes, and soil structure my entire life; do you have an Agronomy degree? Please post USEFUL ( negative or positive) data to go along with your negative review, so that we can actually discuss it instead of argue...Thanks! :)

BTW, ya'll ARE aware that DE dries back out right? I apply it in mornings when dew will help it stick to leaves... It dries back out leaving a nice layer on the leaves.... If can't remember who was using it in the garden... The "wetness" factor has been completely overplayed. A full understanding of WHAT DE is is essentially required.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by