Opinions on fencing for goats

Pics
Another option is electric mesh. I have been using it for my herd of Boers for 5+ years now. I have multiple fields fenced with it, and it keeps the goats IN and predators OUT. I do take it off of the step-in posts that it comes with, and install it on wood or T-posts with insulators. I "suspend" it on a strand of 17g wire woven thru the top and bottom and hand tightened, to eliminate the sagging. It works perfectly, zero maintenance aside from occasionally re-tightening the suspension wire when a deer makes it sag. I use the "shorter" mesh and top it with 2 strands of tape to increase visibility. The end product looks clean and neat.
View attachment 1910221 View attachment 1910218 View attachment 1910219 View attachment 1910220
I do want to do electric in a second pasture area. This area is in and out of the woods so I’m a little wary of electric fence with all the trees around. The other pasture area is well or pasture. But I need to unfortunately take out the decorative bushes the last owner has planted there because most of them aren’t things my girls need to be eating like azaleas. Last time they did that I had to goats throwing up. I didn’t even know goats could do that. Your crew in the picture looks a lot like my crew . Boer goats are tricky because they’re strong they are big and a lot of people assume because their big they can’t jump in squeeze through things. Very wrong there

I’ve seen a couple of lots around where they have split rail fence where they have a 4 x 4 post three 1 x 4 rails and then another one by four going vertical. I think that helps for support when they’re pushing on the rails and it covers any uneven cuts
I think I’ll go with something like that where it faces the yard and then metal T posts through the woods. How much spacing would anybody recommend for the T post section

Man I’d really like to use electric anywhere I can it seems so much easier and cheaper for that route. But there’s some of areas of trees and brush I’d like to fencing because they could help clear it. I’ve talked to a couple people who use it and it Has to be pretty powerful to get their attention but it works They don’t try to jump it because after feeling it once I heard they don’t want to go within 10 feet of it. Just from the couple people I’ve talk to.

We used 48" tall 4" X 4" goat fence. T posts every 10' and wooden posts every 5th post and on corners.
I wished for 60" tall 2" X 4" horse fence but a lot more cost for that route.

Back
Top Bottom