Opinions on my anatolian's new dog agression

At this age, if they change personalities-get aggressive- it very well may be thyroid issues.

My vet and her husband raise and show anatolians and she also specializes in other large/giant breeds as well. When these dogs have aggression issues and/or skin and coat issues she will always do a full thyroid panel and within weeks these same dogs that are being considered for euthanasia are back to themselves!

You obviously care for your dogs allot- please consider all the advice you are getting.

Keep your GS safe and seperate before there is a true emergency.

LOL...

Ok, I guess I am sorry I asked... some bizarre assumptions here.

1. Yes, my dogs are neutered.
roll.png

2. My dogs are NOT bored out of their skulls, sorry that seriously made me laugh, but hey feel free to assume... My dogs run on several fenced acres and have lots of other animals around.
3. I think I know what a wound looks like and no they aren't wounded after the fight - just out of breath and the one - as I explained - has hurt feelings.

I'll have the vet check the thyroid.
smile.png

Last edited:
Do people walk LGDs? I just assumed they stayed with the herd most of the time
idunno.gif

It's a good idea to train them to be lead on a leash in case you need to take them to a Vet or move them to other pastures.

You can train them basic obedience, just like any other dog, although they tend to be more hard headed about it.

The main thing you SHOULDNT do is "socialize" them by introducing them to a lot of other dogs or people. You dont want them thinking it's OK for strange dogs to be accepted, and they shouldnt expect everyone to pet them​

Anatolians just start to mature at 2 yrs old. I think you are right about him wanting the top spot in the yard. Many Anatolian males will not tolerate another male of any breed. I have even heard stories of brothers from the same litter Who lived together since birth , turn two and then fight till one dies. It is very important that YOU are alpha dog and you will not tolerate fighting between your subordinates. There are people who keep anatolians in a pack like this and are sucessfull at it. Try to google Eric Conrad Or Lucky Hit Anatolians. I have no affiliation with him . I do like his site and there is alot of good info there. I do some breeding and I can tell you from personal experience that they all have strong will and personalites . You have to be stronger and they will protect you and yours with their lives.!

I'm sorry you took some of my suggestions as bizarre assumptions.

I mentioned the puncture wound issue especially because it has been an issue with some friends of mine whose dogs fought. They didn't realize that any dog had been hurt, when in fact one had a puncture wound on the top of his head. They didn't find it until it was a badly infected abscess. Also, once one of our dogs bit another. The vet had to shave a section of his leg to find the puncture wounds.

I think that people are trying to give you ideas and suggestions, but we don't know you personally and we can't see the situation, so people may suggest things that you already have covered. Just trying to be helpful and throw ideas out there for you.

Ok, I guess I am sorry I asked... some bizarre assumptions here.

I'm feeling a bit sorry I took all of the time and effort I did to respond with all of the helpful suggestions I could think of, including the time I took to find links to sites I thought might be helpful to you. Suggestions are only suggestions, it's only the internet, you don't have to use any of them. But people did take the time to come up with then for you in order to try to help.​

Quote:
Also, you have to understand that Anatolian Shepherd Dogs were bred to be "war" dogs.

"For centuries it was used as a combat dog in war and for hunting. It was particularly valued for the victorious battles it could fight with wolves. As a sheep dog, it was bothered by neither fatigue nor bad weather. Today it is used as a sheepdog as well as a guard dog." Simon & Schuster's Guide to Dogs.

Your dog is bored and if you don't start burning the energy and working the ind, you can have a real problem on your hands.

Quote:
You can have a zillion acres to "run on" and all the play mates and toys in the world, but if YOU are not exercising the dog's "mind" in a structured and serious way, you are still dealing with a bored and aggressive dog.

scbatz33 - take your snide comments to some other post please - I'm not an idiot nor do I "ignore my dog's mind"

Quote:
Yes, you are so right. Thanks for the post. I noticed immediately when we got him at 5 months that this dog was not like any I've ever had. He is SOOOOOO opinionated and he is aloof most of the time, but he does play with the other two for at least a few hour a day.

Usually it was Ollie my GS who he would play with - and it was all good natured stuff. So this sudden obsession with playing rough with the Shepherd was odd right off the bat. She's still in control - completely.

But sometimes he'll run up to her and bump her so hard she cries. She's a bit over-dramatic (so please don't anyone comment on how I let her be "abused" I can't take anymore bizarre assumptions about how clueless I am)- BUT I don't want her to get hurt by accident. Niether of the boys fight with her.

I have noticed that some of the patterns have gone away in the past few days and Ollie has started to relax again - the last "fight" was about 5 days ago and Ollie clearly got the best of Brody, (and NO they did not get hurt). Maybe that will settle him for a while. Plus, it gave Ollie an ego boost and he's happy again - following the Shepherd around like they are joined at the hip.

Waiting game I guess. But that thyroid check is another good idea.

Oh, I'm alpha dog alright -
wink.png
LOL...no question.

EDIT- I just googled Lucky Hit Anatolians but it had a Google Alert attached to it. Hmmm...that's too bad.

Last edited:
scbatz33 - take your snide comments to some other post please - I'm not an idiot nor do I "ignore my dog's mind"

I don't understand why you posted asking for people's opinions if you were just going to insult and belittle any one who posted an opinion based on the information YOU provided.

I am sooooooo sorry that you find factual information about the history of you Anatolian shepherd and the behaviors of aggressive working dogs in general to be snide.(yeah, now that IS snide!)

Next time you only want people to agree with you, please post saying "good intentioned people need not post unless you agree with how I want to see my situation". That way the rest of us won't bother to respond.

I would add one more thing to your good advice here..

You have to establish yourself as the alpha.. you will have far fewer behavioral problems..

You can see the fight signs developing, that is when to step in.
Npne of my dogs are even allowed to growl, for any reason. especially over food. I have a 12 year old anatolian. any dog or person can take food right out of her mouth.

I have NEVER heard her growl.
my daughter trained her well..

If your dogs fight over food, they are a MAJOR threat to children..
aall it takes is one quick snap from a dog that size and a childs face is gone.. think about that..

Back
Top Bottom