Opinions on my anatolian's new dog agression

DuckyBoys, please keep in mind that people are taking time out of their day to respond to your thread in order to help you and your dogs. We have no way of reading your mind to determine which answers you want to hear from us, or which will exactly fit your situation.

Frankly, it's a little hurtful to put a full-force effort into answering a question only to get the little 'rolled eyes' emoticon and some not-too appreciative words in response.

All of us who responded to your post could simply have read it and clicked to another post without responding. I have had some of my threads not responded to, and I find it really frustrating when that happens, so I am glad when anyone takes the time to answer me. The answer may not actually help me or fit my situation, but I am grateful that they did me the kindness of responding.

Please take our attempts to help in the spirit that they are offered, I am sure most who have posted here have the best intentions. You seem to be responding with mostly a dismissive and angry tone, but if you look back at the answers you are responding to, most were worded very politely and with concern that everything works out for the best for you and your dogs.

hey duckboys--- here is the adress of the page I was hopeing you would find http://www.luckyhit.net/anatolia.htm . I have never had a problem here and there are pages and pages of good info here. The back off command is invaluable to me. I shure dont know everything about the breed but I have alot of experiences with keeping them and I talk to alot of people who own them. both people who have bought pups from me and other breeders I work with all are helpfull in understanding this magnicefent breed. The most important peice of advice That I can give my new owners is to be the boss and stay in controll. He May be bigger than you and faster than you and in his heart he will know he is smarter than you But he will respect you . If you lead he will follow. Stay calm and stay strong. Good Luck!!!

I suggest you join working LDGs group on Yahoo ([email protected]) and post your question there -- these are some VERY experienced LGD owners and they've helped me immensely with my three adopted LGDs (one Anatolian, two Pyrs), now currently happily guarding my chickens, geese, goats, etc...

Quote:
So much for being thankful. Geez, you realize that a quality and thought out reply takes 5-15 minutes of a person's time? I am sorry I even replied honestly, and rarely do people find my responses "bizarre". I simply asked if your dogs were neutered and fed in seperate areas. How is that a bizarre question? You didn't state if your dogs were neutered and in an attempt to help YOU, I asked.

We are only trying to help you, we aren't there to look at the dogs and property for ourselves. We don't know how well you thoroughly looked the dog's over for wounds, we can't exactly lift your dog's leg and see if it's neutered. We can't SEE how much land you have or what your dogs do, then why do you take offense when people ask you for help while they are trying to help YOU. I wasted 10 minutes of my time, that I could have been helping someone more grateful and appreciative instead of being told that simply asking "are the dogs are neutered" is a "bizarre" assuption.

At least now I know not to waste the time of day on you when you ask OTHERS for help.
roll.png

Have a wonderful evening and I hope that you can solve the problem. Good luck and I hope that you figure out the problem for your pups sake.
-Kim

Last edited:
Am I getting the genders right - the shepherd is female, the others are males? If so, another possible thing for your vet to check - the female could have a urinary or bladder infection, it tends to make them smell like they are coming into season. Yes, even if they're spayed - it has nothing to do with actual reproduction, it's a smell caused by the infection. That's one of the first things many breeders check if two males suddenly start fighting, or if they show interest in a female who should not or can not come in season.

Also, at 3, your Schnauzer is just really maturing; the giant breeds often take longer to really grow up, so the fights could possibly escalate if noone backs down and takes the second string position.

The place I go for herding training for my Aussies keeps three Maremmas who do live with the flock, but also come down and have people time when the sheep are in close to the barns during the day...it is vital to have a relationship with the guardian dogs, or they may start defending the herd/flock from YOU. After all, the whole point is for the flock to be safe from strangers as well as predators - so don't be a stranger!

Good luck!

Anatolian aggression is normal. They are very dominant territorial dogs. In Turkey they were used for war just as much as for flock guardians. That is why they are such wonderful guardian animals. You might just have separate them if you don't want the Anatolian to overtake the GSD to become alpha. It probably would have happened sooner if the GSD hadn't been older when you got the Karabash. For now, I would certainly feed the GSD separate. It is just normal ingrained behavior for a Karabash (anatolian) to be dominant. They were bred to be that way. You might look up Karabash on the web to learn more of their personalities and breed characteristics. They are just simply very, very dominant dogs that behave in a territorial manner because that was what they were created to do. Your dog is normal.

Neutering has NOTHING to do with dominance. That is one of the lies that Peta has spread for the last few years to increase altering. Anatolians are simply dominant dogs, neutered or not. Working dogs really shouldn't be altered anyway. It quashes the drive.

Last edited:
I wanted to add one more thought. I have an anatolian karabash who is very young. He is already showing signs of dominance. He is under 8wks old, and will try to start a fight with my chihuahua. Not play fight, but really growl and stand over top of him in a dominant manner, and even start a fight. It is just normal for the breed to be dominant. That was what they were created to do, and why they are wonderful flock guardians. I was going to wait until my boy was 3mo old to put him in the flock, but I had to do it last week because I didn't want the growling to get worse or escalate into a real rivalry. As soon as it warmed up a bit, he went into the flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom