Opinions on No Crow Rooster collars?

cluckingheck

i wanna be a cowboy, baby ( HELL YEAH )
Jun 15, 2020
TyCo, West Virginia
I’m just wanting everyone’s opinion of these rooster collars. They’re supposed to restrict how much air they can take in/expel in order to let out a crow without restricting regular respiratory functions. It doesn’t stop them from crowing, just makes it sound way softer. I haven’t tried them myself, but I am tempted as my 5 leghorn cockerels scream constantly. Though, part of me is on the fence about it because it seems...uncomfortable?

My personal opinion is that it is cruel. It interferes with their natural behaviour and quality of life. Better to cull than to make them live like that.

Leghorns are known for their volume, just as silkies are known for their brooding. I can only imagine the cacophony created by 5 of them.

Can you rehome them or find other alternatives that will give them natural happy lives (or even a short one without suffering)?

My personal opinion is that it is cruel. It interferes with their natural behaviour and quality of life. Better to cull than to make them live like that.

Leghorns are known for their volume, just as silkies are known for their brooding. I can only imagine the cacophony created by 5 of them.

Can you rehome them or find other alternatives that will give them natural happy lives (or even a short one without suffering)?
they were originally down at the barn with the rest of the flock, but i had to separate them out and bring them up to the unfinished coop in my yard because they would all gang up and pin down burt ( the roo in my profile pic ). i was afraid they were going to kill him and now that they’re away from the others, burt’s the alpha of the main flock. if i take them back down to the coop in the barn, i feel like there’s going to be a huge fight since burt has more confidence and the sense of authority.

nobody around me is willing to take in roos, im having trouble rehoming one of my black Australorp roos. im kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place until i can get the new coop finished. they start crowing at 5am before the sun even starts coming up

Last edited:
It is hard, I feel your pain!

Can you put up a temporary divider in the barn just to keep the bachelor group separate? Maybe with access to a small run with electric fencing that is cheap, quick and easy to fit and easily moveable. They will be hormonal nutters right now!

Burt sounds ace btw.

My boy crows all day and half the night. Just why!!!

Sir Henry the Loud, an Iowa Blue, starts crowing at about 3:30 or 4 every morning Every morning. I can't imagine having more than one of him crowing.

However, I let him crow because that's what roosters do. I also don't disbud my goats' horns, dock my sheep's tails (they're hair sheep so it's unnecessary) declaw my destructive house cats or have dog breeds that society says needs to have their ears cropped or their tails bobbed.

So, with absolutely no experience with a rooster collar, I would not use one. Which, of course, doesn't help you solve your problem at all. Can you temporarily house in large dog crates? I've done that when I'm quarantining new birds. It's not ideal but it might work for a bit. Good luck with finding a workable solution.

Back
Top Bottom