Opinions on rooster agression?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken101-07, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Chicken101-07

Chicken101-07 Chirping

Aug 18, 2019
    What are your thoughts of an agressive rooster?the current rooster I have is pretty aggresive,people barely turn around and he attacks your legs,he has gotten me twice,one because I gave him my back and he attacked the back of my shoes,the other one because he was trying to mate with a hen and she ran into my legs,he freaked out and lashed out against my leg,only time he has made me bleed,I haven't been the only my grandmother,mother and also the dog have also been attacked,I'm honestly fine with him because he is just trying to protect the hens but my family thinks we should get rid of him because he is unpredictable.

2. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Songster

Aug 9, 2019
    Central Wisconsin
    I was just reading about Rooster aggression.

I don’t know how to share the article. Maybe someone can post the link here.

3. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    If you can find the article or thread again, go there, copy the url and paste it here.

DiYMama540 and Bigbluefrog like this.
  4. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Can you show a video of him and how he attacks you. It would provide insight into how behaviors can be adjusted.

CityslickerHomestead and aart like this.
  5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Is this rooster free ranged? If so, he is a liability. What happens if he attacks a visitor and causes injuries that require medical attention (infections from a puncture wound, stitches to a child who has been spurred in the face, etc)? That could be very costly to you (or yoru parents if you are a minor living at home).

If your rooster is busy attacking you, your family members and your dog, he is not doing his job as flock guardian. If your dog decided to bite you, is it OK, because he's protecting the property? No. A good, smart dog knows the difference between a threat to the property and the people who belong there. A good, smart rooster knows the difference between his human keepers and a true threat to the hens. You said he attacked you because you "gave him my back". That is not good. You should be able to turn your back on him. You should also be able to go into the coop, and handle every one of the hens in his presence without any problem from him. That is a good rooster.

Out of curiosity - how old is he?

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x2! @bobbi-j has it right. There's no excuse for this behavior, and he's dangerous not helpful. He'd be long gone here, and a delicious dinner for a family.
    Mary

7. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    A rooster hurt me pretty badly recently. If he'd hurt my kid like that, I may have been in legal trouble for child neglect and endangerment. This rooster had been getting more aggressive toward my kid, so I'd taken over the chicken chores and I'm glad I did. I thought I could settle him down. I failed. He could have seriously harmed my kid. I took care of the situation that day, as soon as I could walk out there with my hatchet. I will never again have an aggressive rooster. Better to have no roo than a mean one. I will chop a mean rooster now as soon as look at him.

8. Chicken101-07

Chicken101-07 Chirping

Aug 18, 2019
    that was when I first got him,he does not do anything now,and he is not free ranged and he is like 2 years old I think.

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'm kind of confused. He does not attack anyone anymore? When was the last time he attacked anyone?

pamiejune, aart and DiYMama540 like this.
  10. DiYMama540

DiYMama540 Crowing

Jun 25, 2019
    SW VA
    My Coop
    I'd have to agree with others, and your family that say the roo has got to go! I know they are easy to get attached to and make excuses for, but this behavior won't be cured.
    If you're set on having a roo, process this one, and try again. There are plenty of roos out there that need homes, hopefully you can find one that's never shown aggression...they are out there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: