Opinions on rooster agression?

Chicken101-07

Songster
Aug 18, 2019
What are your thoughts of an agressive rooster?the current rooster I have is pretty aggresive,people barely turn around and he attacks your legs,he has gotten me twice,one because I gave him my back and he attacked the back of my shoes,the other one because he was trying to mate with a hen and she ran into my legs,he freaked out and lashed out against my leg,only time he has made me bleed,I haven't been the only my grandmother,mother and also the dog have also been attacked,I'm honestly fine with him because he is just trying to protect the hens but my family thinks we should get rid of him because he is unpredictable.

What are your thoughts of an agressive rooster?the current rooster I have is pretty aggresive,people barely turn around and he attacks your legs,he has gotten me twice,one because I gave him my back and he attacked the back of my shoes,the other one because he was trying to mate with a hen and she ran into my legs,he freaked out and lashed out against my leg,only time he has made me bleed,I haven't been the only my grandmother,mother and also the dog have also been attacked,I'm honestly fine with him because he is just trying to protect the hens but my family thinks we should get rid of him because he is unpredictable.
Can you show a video of him and how he attacks you. It would provide insight into how behaviors can be adjusted.

Is this rooster free ranged? If so, he is a liability. What happens if he attacks a visitor and causes injuries that require medical attention (infections from a puncture wound, stitches to a child who has been spurred in the face, etc)? That could be very costly to you (or yoru parents if you are a minor living at home).

If your rooster is busy attacking you, your family members and your dog, he is not doing his job as flock guardian. If your dog decided to bite you, is it OK, because he's protecting the property? No. A good, smart dog knows the difference between a threat to the property and the people who belong there. A good, smart rooster knows the difference between his human keepers and a true threat to the hens. You said he attacked you because you "gave him my back". That is not good. You should be able to turn your back on him. You should also be able to go into the coop, and handle every one of the hens in his presence without any problem from him. That is a good rooster.

Out of curiosity - how old is he?

A rooster hurt me pretty badly recently. If he'd hurt my kid like that, I may have been in legal trouble for child neglect and endangerment. This rooster had been getting more aggressive toward my kid, so I'd taken over the chicken chores and I'm glad I did. I thought I could settle him down. I failed. He could have seriously harmed my kid. I took care of the situation that day, as soon as I could walk out there with my hatchet. I will never again have an aggressive rooster. Better to have no roo than a mean one. I will chop a mean rooster now as soon as look at him.

Is this rooster free ranged? If so, he is a liability. What happens if he attacks a visitor and causes injuries that require medical attention (infections from a puncture wound, stitches to a child who has been spurred in the face, etc)? That could be very costly to you (or yoru parents if you are a minor living at home).

If your rooster is busy attacking you, your family members and your dog, he is not doing his job as flock guardian. If your dog decided to bite you, is it OK, because he's protecting the property? No. A good, smart dog knows the difference between a threat to the property and the people who belong there. A good, smart rooster knows the difference between his human keepers and a true threat to the hens. You said he attacked you because you "gave him my back". That is not good. You should be able to turn your back on him. You should also be able to go into the coop, and handle every one of the hens in his presence without any problem from him. That is a good rooster.

Out of curiosity - how old is he?
that was when I first got him,he does not do anything now,and he is not free ranged and he is like 2 years old I think.

I'd have to agree with others, and your family that say the roo has got to go! I know they are easy to get attached to and make excuses for, but this behavior won't be cured.
If you're set on having a roo, process this one, and try again. There are plenty of roos out there that need homes, hopefully you can find one that's never shown aggression...they are out there!

Back
Top Bottom