Opinions on tbe Farm Innovators 4200 please

It looks like I had 11 viable eggs. 3 have not hatched. That's not to bad. The next time I set eggs I'm getting a thermometer with high and low temperature alarms. If it gets to 101 alarms go off. Drops to 98 again, alarms go off. The FI 4200 was a serviceable unit. I'd set eggs in it again. As I learn the craft I think I'll build my own. I'll install a way to add and remove water without opening the incubator. I would also like to have built in gloves so I can handle things inside without opening it up. Just some thoughts.

I like the idea of a thermometer with an alarm. If you find one you like please share a link here.

I helped a teacher use this incubator for a hatch at school and thought it would be a good way to give hatching a try, without spending too much money, so I bought one for myself.

What type will you build? I've asked my husband to help me make one out of our old cooler.

I hatched 22 out of 26 marans and marans mix and they are a bit difficult from what I understand because the dark "paint" hinders moisture loss and the air cell doesn't get big enough. The four that didn't make it were so big they couldn't turn in the egg, so I think it is true.

I kept humidity between 20% and 35%. I put in enough water to get to 35, then let it drop to 20 and stay that way overnight, then brought it back up to 35 until day 18. At day 18 the humidity was brought up to 70% or above and kept there and the little buggers pipped and zipped starting on day 19. Very vigorous and lively chicks. You don't want to keep them too humid or they will grow too big or drown in the shell when they do the internal pip. Read that the high humidity at the end softens the shell, but isn't long enough for the moisture to build up inside. Worked for me!

I got a thermometer/hygrometer from incubator warehouse and it works great. Found that the indicators on the lid of the incubator were off, but worked fine once I knew by how much. The incubator thermometer read 92 and was perfect at that temp which was really 99 + or - a tiny fraction. Same with the hygrometer, it is off, but consistent.

I like the idea of a thermometer with an alarm. If you find one you like please share a link here.

I helped a teacher use this incubator for a hatch at school and thought it would be a good way to give hatching a try, without spending too much money, so I bought one for myself.

What type will you build? I've asked my husband to help me make one out of our old cooler.
I was thinking about building one out of a small refrigerator. Pack extra insulation everywhere I can. Use the power cord for my heating element and some more for the turner and fan. Of course I would have to put in an observation window and some ventilation. I found this thermometer with high/low alarm http://shop.midsci.com/productdetail/M50/ATC1 . There are others that are more expensive and there is some cheaper ones. http://www.utm.edu/departments/cece/idea/incu.shtml

I made that mistake! The thermostat was totally unreliable so I sent it back for a refund...lost all 41 eggs due to temperature spikes over 103*...sure was disappointed.

I've been having very good luck with it this year. I got the feel for it now and I can keep a temp. Holding tight between 99.5 and 100. Been through 4 more hatches with it and right now I have turkeys hatching next weekend. Pretty decent bator. It would be a great one if the thermostat work.

Back
Top Bottom