Opinions on what the heck this could be?

Duckadia

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 23, 2012
Narrabri, AUS
This is Pickles. She is a GIRL. I just have no idea what kind of girl. She was hatched here, by one of our muscovies, but I have no idea who owned the egg. Judging by the size of her beak, her mother could be one of our Indian Runner X. But as for daddy, we aren't sure. She is quite a small duck too.

Does anyone have any ideas?

There are some characteristics that make me think Pickles is a muscovy cross.- the colours of the feathers- including the white patch as well as the bill. definitely not a pure muscovy anyway- meaning she will be sterile and unable to hatch any eggs she may lay. What other breeds do you keep? she doesnt look very runnerish.

We have muscovies, runner x, mallard x, and bantams. We are thinking daddy might be one of the bantams, due to the grey colour (he is grey) and her small size. We really aren't sure.

If she doesn't lay eggs than I'd say that she was a runner x Muscovy but if she lays eggs than she can't be a cross with a Muscovy as it would be sterile.

Female mules can lay eggs, they just won't be fertile.  But, I'm thinking she's a runner and mallard cross, depending on what color the runner is.  Or, a bantam and runner cross.

She does not look like a mule to me. Like DD I'm guessing runner/mallard X.

Last edited:
This is Pickles. She is a GIRL. I just have no idea what kind of girl. She was hatched here, by one of our muscovies, but I have no idea who owned the egg. Judging by the size of her beak, her mother could be one of our Indian Runner X. But as for daddy, we aren't sure. She is quite a small duck too.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I personally think she's a mule or hinny duck . I'm not sure which breeds cross bred though.

Kevin, what traits do you see that indicate muscovy heritage?

To be a mule or hinny, one of the breeds would have had to have been a muscovy.

Last edited:
I have one that is similar....no idea what she is either.
200x200px-ZC-a1134ec5_34098_0719110845_0001.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom