Opinions Please..... Ducks swimming in cold pond

Sue S

Songster
Mar 7, 2018
Pa
I would like some opinions, please. I have 4 mallards that are full grown, they free range during the day & are penned at night, I live in Pa & it's already getting cold here, this morning it was 29 degrees when I got up, It has been cold and windy here the last 2 days so I didn't let the ducks out of the pen & they were really upset but when I let them out when it's cooler outside ( above freezing ) they go right into the pond, ( I get cold just watching them get into that water !!!) My husband says i'm babying them to much to not let them out on cooler days, is he right???? I won't let them out when it's really windy cuz they don't like the wind but when it's less wind but still cold is it safe for them to be out & swim in the pond?????

Same here - it was 28 when I woke up - and the ducks went into the pond but wouldn't come out LOL. I was standing there shivering while they just swam and swam and swam. I think they are fine - you're a good Mom to worry about them though ;)

Just let them out & they jumped right into the pond.!!!!! Brrrrr
Ducks in pond.jpg

It’s only in the mid 30s when I let my pekins out in the morning and they head straight for their pool! I always worry about them being too cold as well! They seem like it doesn’t bother them one bit!

Back
Top Bottom