Opinons on Hen Breeds for Laying

Chickenberry

Songster
9 Years
Oct 1, 2010
SE OK ~ Farris/Antlers
I know that this will be a matter of opinion, but I have a question. Tomorrow I have the opportunity to pick up some new hens~ they are 6 months old. The person selling them has New Hampshine Reds, Rhode Island Reds and Australorps. Which in your opinion(s) do you think would be best breeds for laying and personality? We are going to get four.

Thanks in advance! I can't wait to get my new girls~!

I've had Rhode Island Reds and Black Australorps in the past and my BAs where the much better layers of the two. But I've never had New Hampshine Reds so I have no idea on them.

This depends soooooo much on the strain. Really, the predictions would be a shot in the dark. Does the seller breed them? Would he know? Did he get them from a certain hatchery? If so, which hatchery?
All three of those breeds can be great layers or very ordinary layers. You and we would just be guessing without more information and assurances from the breeder.

get one of each plus an extra surprise chick to make it fun in what your getting.
big_smile.png

My NH is the best of my 7 layers - nice big brown egg every day. I don't have a RIR or Austrolorp - so I can't compare the three.

My favorites have always been the Black Austrolorp. I love how gentle all mine have been. I got TONS of eggs from them as well.

Congrats on getting new hens.

Like Fred's Hens said, it depends on the strain. I've never had RIR or New Hamp's but RIR used to be used for commercial egg production of brown eggs more commonly then they are today. I also hear New Hamp's are very good layers. My Black Australorp hen came in an assortment, and lays large eggs. Once she seemed sick for a day, and the next she laid the biggest egg i've ever seen. She is very personable although she struggle when she is held. Hope this helps! MW

Thank you all so much! This is exactly what I wanted.. all kinds of opinions.

Fred's Hens, I will be asking all those questions when I go to purchase them today. I believe they are just raised on a farm and not from a hatchery. You are right, and I will be asking her a lot of questions!
big_smile.png

10 Point, I really did think about getting three that I wanted and asking her to "throw in something special" for the 4th!
wink.png

I'm so excited... when I return this evening, I will let you all know what I chose.. oh, and I'm sure I'll be taking pictures too! LOL
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom