OPIONIONS WANTED

realsis

Crazy for Silkies
11 Years
Jan 17, 2013
California
I would like some opinions of this forum on WHAT LOT SIZE DO YOU THINK SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO RAISE CHICKENS ? I myself have a Ten Thousand square foot lot. I think that's plenty of room to keep and raise a few hens. I'm interested in what YOU think the SMALLEST area requirement should be to raise a few chickens and keep them healthy? ALL Opinions are welcome.

i keep chickens both ways, and i can tell you that it takes alot more work to keep chickens in small pens. feed has to be adjusted to match for lack of insects and greens if the cage is to small, or they cant get to it.

i know 10 square feet of outdoor run space is generally accepted as the right amount of space. i really think it should be more, perhaps 50-75 square feet per chicken so the grass doesn't wear down as fast. of course if you free range during the day, you wouldnt need as much space in the run.

this is just one of those questions that is impossible to answer completely. everyone has different situations, nutrition, and even plants and insects. 10 chickens can work over an acre a day in a free range application.

ok, now to the smallest area. in my breeder's pens i can keep 3 large fowl (white rocks, silver laced wyandottes, etc) in a 3x4 pen. these chickens dont have outside run access, so feed and care becomes alot more intense. we have to lower the fat, and add in "green" items to take the place of grass. we use dried mealworms and (fresh) nightcrawlers to aid in protein. since there isnt alot of room for dustbathing, we have to constantly monitor for lice and mites. waterers are on the outside of the cages to help keep them dry. when we aren't using the chickens for breeding we do let them outside in tractors, for exercise. the tractors are 8x8 feet. and tarp covered to prevent hawk attacks. i do not recommend this system to someone who just raises a few birds for egg purposes. when you get into rare breeds that costs hundreds of dollars for a baby chick, you become alot more cautious. for these people (if they are interested in breeding) this system will work well, but with a flock of (we will say) over 200, you will find it hard to work a full time job and take proper care of your chickens.

We live on a 7,649 sq. ft. suburban lot. We have an 8 x 12 coop in the back yard. We have a run that extends down one side of the back lawn (underneath a very large oak tree). -have 7 standard and 3 bantam hens. Our lawn has extensive landscaping around the perimeters (which offers excellent cover for the birds), with good green (grass) space and a vegetable and herb garden close to the middle. Space has never been an issue. The chickens roam the yard three to four times per day whilst supervised. The care of the coop and run do take a good bit of time because we want it to stay very clean. -don't want a dirty environment for the birds or any nuisance for our neighbors. The coop is thoroughly scooped daily. The feeders and waterers are cleaned daily. The run is scooped several times per day, and the dirt tilled weekly. All garden an chicken waste is composted in two closed bins (small holes for air, only) behind the coop. It works for us, and the hens and landscaping/garden area are thriving!

That's great! In my 10,000 sq foot lot I have a 8 by 12 coop also under a large tree. I'm in the process of making it better. I'll let the birds free range but NOT Un supervised due to many a hawk that is in my area. Also owls. I plant pasture in there run at spring that they love. I try and keep everything clean and don't keep roosters due to the noise factor. I also compost the poo and shavings and use them in the vegatable garden in spring and fertilize the fruit trees with it. I'm mostly curious how others make due in urban settings. For living in a urban area we are very fortunate to have such a large 10,000 sq foot lot. It's almost Un heard of these days where I live. Some would consider my area more country than city. Although they annexed it into city not too long ago. .I was curious how folks manage in more of a smaller city environment. ?? How they keep their birds and how there set up works?? Thank you so far for your answers!!! I love to hear how other folks do it. Although 10,000 sq feet isn't small its smaller than most chicken owners property. im wondering if folks
keep chickens on a even smaller lot.??

its all depending on what your plans are for your chickens. you mentioned hawks - the tractor method works well when you have hawks. they keep your yard fertilized, and your chickens are fairly well protected. it is still a good idea to have a coop for cold weather or if you know predators are nearby.

I live on a 1/4 acre lot. Actually, chickens get run of the back yard (less the 1 chicken that sometimes jumps the fence to forage the woods) Luckily, we live in the swamps of the south where bugs thrive year round. They get a scoop of layer pellets and scratch feed in the morning then they are on their own til they come on the porch in the evening. And my girls are fat and happy. I do throw them extra fruits and veggies just for fun.

Oh, and for protection, they have a great pry puppy and a fat lab. We had a few losses to some foxes, but I'm confident there won't be a threat for much longer with pyr puppy Tabitha on the look out! (Fat Lab isn't very reliable)

Back
Top Bottom