Opossum Playing Dead

I have a opossum that has been hanging around my coop. I found his foot prints in the snow. I have a dog that chases any thing from our yard so i hope it stays away from my girls.

Dog and I went to close up barn shortly after dark. We were also to get eggs left in basket. Opossum about 2/3 grown was walking about in a pen. It was likely already stuff on most of the eggs in the basket. It was the fattest and furriest opossum I have ever seen. Dog walked over to it in no big hurry and sniffed from the side. The opossum fell over as if pushed over by the dogs nose. Opossum then played dead and dog walked off to check rest of barn. When the opossums growl or run the dog attacks.

I dispatched opossum. Chickens could see opossum the whole time but made not alarm calls. They were used to it. One hen was a little fluffed up like when an owl visits, but only her.
That's a very interesting story!

Well, possums and chickens don't mix but possums are really interesting critters. They kill and eat venomous snakes. They are immune to the venom. They eat a lot of ticks. Their body temperature is low enough they are unlikely to contract rabies. They are not vicious to people. I've never known of one to attack a dog and they will share a bowl of cat food with the cats. I suggest you have a more secure coop if they can get in. Please call an animal rescue and have them removed rather then kill them. They are beneficial if not where can get into a chicken coop. I know of a baby possum that forced itself into a group of pups. The mom dog, a Mtn Feist, tried to run it off but it wanted a family and had chosen the pups. Mom dog gave in and the possum lived with the pups until grown and eventually went to the woods. These people also had chickens free ranging and the possum never bothered them.

Dog and I went to close up barn shortly after dark. We were also to get eggs left in basket. Opossum about 2/3 grown was walking about in a pen. It was likely already stuff on most of the eggs in the basket. It was the fattest and furriest opossum I have ever seen. Dog walked over to it in no big hurry and sniffed from the side. The opossum fell over as if pushed over by the dogs nose. Opossum then played dead and dog walked off to check rest of barn. When the opossums growl or run the dog attacks.

I dispatched opossum. Chickens could see opossum the whole time but made not alarm calls. They were used to it. One hen was a little fluffed up like when an owl visits, but only her.
I read that opossum don't kill chickens but will eat the eggs. They also eat all kinds of pests like ticks and cockroaches.

I read that opossum don't kill chickens but will eat the eggs. They also eat all kinds of pests like ticks and cockroaches.
Oh, they definitely kill chickens. I lost one of my favorite girls to an opossum. Caught him/her the very next night going for another kill. There are plenty of ppl on this site who have also had first hand experience with opossums killing chickens.

Thought it was coons getting the chickens 50 yrs ago... kept loosing chickens until we got rid of the opossum eating what we assumed was killed by a raccoon. They are opportunist.
I have secure coops now days, but the poultry yard is vulnerable. People keep dropping off destructive varmints from town, they have no idea where to find food and are use to people, tracks start at car tracks and end up at my poultry yard. So I get to deal with others problems, even though it is illegal to relocate with out permission.

I wouldn't kill any animal for eating my cat's food/chicken feed. It's annoying, but there are easier, kinder solutions.

I wouldn't kill any animal for going after my chickens either, even though I love them like crazy. I don't judge people who do kill wild predators, because sometimes I'm sure there isn't another solution.

There's an obvious difference between killing a wild animal and a domesticated one. I love my dogs, cats, and birds like members of my family and if any person killed one of them on purpose, I would be devastated. Don't be cruel is all I'm saying.

**Sorry to be a downer. My friend's dogs were killed by his neighbor and it was a really hard situation.
My current neighbors threatened to kill my chickens for getting into their lawn. I didn't realize it had been a problem. Had they told me nicely I would have offered to replace any eaten plants/displaced mulch and given them some free eggs. If was a better person I would still do that. But if they actually killed one of my chickens I don't know if I could get past it.
I would not get past it! No need to be so vicious to an innocent animal. Not neighborly either.

Back
Top Bottom