opossum question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by outback hatcher, Sep 19, 2010.

1. outback hatcher

outback hatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Will an opossum kill a chicken?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Possums are opportunistic, and will kill a chicken if they are hungry and the chicken is easy. I would not say they are a major predator. They are much more of a danger to eggs and cat food.

Imp

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Most definitely yes. I speak from sad experience. They will keep pulling hens off the roost, biting them and continue on until they finally get one that doesn't get away. I finally shot the one that attacked last Feb. And I beefed up coop and run security even more.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:[​IMG] more a danger to cat food!! [​IMG] So true!!

5. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    Most definitely one of the most horrible predators.... Three years ago a possum got in a run with 14 pullets....he MURDERED every single one of them.....just tore their heads off and left them lying there. I understand a wild animals need to eat to survive.....but this monster didn't eat a single pullet. When I found him the next morning (he couldn't find a way out, and I never found his way in) he made a quick trip to possum heaven

6. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    i will make it short. YES

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    BCsilkies, I didn't know there was a "possum heaven." no fair, what do they ever do to deserve it? Glad you got him tho

8. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Yes, for sure the opossum is a threat to your chickens.No where near as bad as a raccoon,but given the chance,they will kill your birds.All coons and opussoms i live trap, go south about 2 ft below grade.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by