Opposums

Spydrworks

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 18, 2007
So. California
Given opposums are about the same size of a cat, would they pose much of a threat to a grown chicken? I know chickens can defend themselves OK against cats, but unsure about opposums.

There's a new critter in the area and has wandered into the yard where Chickie is at, but she's asleep in the dog house. The opposum seems to like getting into her food bin, but has yet to cause problems with her. Though I don't think this critter has found the entrance to the dog house (which is a large dogloo with a plastic flap to cover the front).

Last edited:
Pretty much like a cat. That's what I thought and opposums are wild critters, unlike the cats around here. I'll have to do some opposum proofing to the fence...

Thanks

Not really. It's just a dingy flap. If Chickie can get out, the opposum can get in if it gets curious enough to wander over. I think the chicken would be able to scare it off though, but never know...the critter could be one of the bolder ones making a big try and Chickie could be in a stupor from being rudely awakened and not at her best defense. There's one area in the fence I think the opposum is coming in from, so I'll start with securing that. This critter seems to come by about the same time and always at night (between 9 and 9:30), so its predictable.

I'm actually intriqued to see it. Last time I saw an opposum was many years ago at the zoo. It was a wild one that was hurt in the middle of a path on zoo grounds. A bunch of us circled around it to keep people from getting too curious while someone got zoo personel to take over. I've even thought of keeping some food out there for it and keep its interest in other food and away from Chickie. Animals go for easy food. During the day, crows are really good at keeping the hawks away. She's pretty much invisible to owls at night, so opposums and raccoons are my biggest deal, but this is the first encounter of either. Coyotes usually keep these animals away or have them for dinner...lol and the fence keeps the coyote away from chickie. It's a well balanced little eco-neighborhood in the suburbs of Southern California thanks to a little stream that runs between the condo units. LOTS of song birds!! I wish I had my camera!!...lol.

Last edited:
Opposum? Yuck. I definetely wouldn't let it hang around if you can help it, and I especially wouldn't put food for it, as that'll just make it stay around more. They're known chicken-killers! Personally, I could care less if it died, as around here they're nothing more than ugly little pests. :mad: If you don't want to hurt it, however, you could put out a live trap and take it somewhere far, far away, preferably away from someone else's house, too. Just be careful when you're transporting it.
hmm.png

Good luck!

Edit: Oh, and if it's getting into her feed, I'd be careful, as it may well be carrying some sort of disease that could harm you or Chickie.

Last edited:
Possum is nothing more than an overgrown RAT!
barnie.gif

They can be very vicious if cornered and WILL attack. They are also carriers of all sorts of nasty diseases.
ep.gif

You're taking too much risk with the health and well being of your chickens, and/or other pets encouraging a possum to stick around.

Back
Top Bottom