Oprah at the beef packing plant-Feb 1

Quote:
Farmers have been on the forefront of conserving and rebuilding soils since the dust bowl era. What works for a 20X40 foot garden plot is not feasible to do on hundreds or thousands of acres tho which is what a lot of people do not get. What they think every farmer should be doing because it works in their garden just doesn't work on a larger scale.

I believe the line of thought here is Jim talking about the increase need in technology for an increased world population..Yes?

Generally when developing technology it is not done on a large scale at first.. Yes?.. Experiments are done on test plots then scaled up.
The dust bowl is a good example of why one should do things on a small scale until they understand the effects..
wink.png

My point was to get poor countries to be able to feed themselves on poor or marginal soil, the soils need to be built and maintained...

I find this area of research interesting..
http://www.css.cornell.edu/faculty/lehmann/research/biochar/biocharmain.html
Know this does not apply to the deep soils of the american heartland.

Katy..
So what do you do a the forefront of conserving and building soils?? I would be interested to learn what the latest is in Kansas. (You sure do have some fine soils down that way!)

ON

Last edited:
Yep, our family's farm just had some CRP expire.. Great crops after that long rest.
smile.png
Typical row crop nuisance weeds not much of a problem either because of the thick sod that was present so long.

I hear what you are saying on the other stuff.
Thanks
ON

I just checked out how this show is listed and it says, "Oprah and 378 staffers go vegan. It is a one week challenge to be vegans."
Doesn't sound like it will be unbiased to me.

Michael Pollan of "The Omnivore's Dilemma" fame and a "vegan spiritualist" whose name I can't remember will also be guests. I THINK the manager of the packing plant may be on stage too and her focus is on what they are doing to make the food supply safer.

Back
Top Bottom