Oprah at the beef packing plant-Feb 1

True Grit

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Orono, Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I believe that the Oprah Show will have a segment on Feb 1, part of which was filmed at a beef packing plant in Colorado. I am not sure what the rest of the segment is about but I thought some of us might be interested in how they spin it. They filmed the slaughter side for sure but who knows how it will be edited. After Oprah's "I'll never eat another hamburger" remark it is hard to say. I like Oprah but whatever angle is most sensational is usually what gets on TV.

That should be interesting. I wont get to watch due to my work schedule, so someone fill me in.
No, I don't have a dvr & I don't tape shows. Ok, don't know how...
big_smile.png

While I'm actually not a huge Oprah fan, I find her to be pretty fair in what she reports on her show. I don't think she has interest in putting any particular "spin" on anything. She tends to cover topics she believes in. I'll be interested to see the show, but I doubt there will be anything new to me on the topic.

Quote:
Yes, of course, I agree. I only meant that she doesn't typically put unfair angles on things for effect; if it's something she believes in, she'll report it as such.

Quote:
Yes, of course, I agree. I only meant that she doesn't typically put unfair angles on things for effect; if it's something she believes in, she'll report it as such.

I have a hard time believing it will be an unbiased show. Just the act of butchering will put most people off because too many people want to believe there is no blood and guts involved in the processing.....their meat just appears packaged in the grocery store or butcher's case. Most everyone is just too removed from agriculture today.

I'm concerned. If a plant allowed her in there, they have to be top of the line, but we all are aware of how things can be spun and the unrealistic outlooks of some people.

Thinking further about it I am hopeful it will be informative. Oprah was sued unsuccessfully back in 1998 by some cattle ranchers due to disparaging remarks she made. Even though she was successful, they will probably be mindful of that. If not for that I would be less hopeful of an unbiased viewpoint.

I was a farm/rural raised kid, and my first visit to a packing plant was eye opening. I could only imagine the reaction of someone with no rural background.

Quote:

I have a hard time believing it will be an unbiased show. Just the act of butchering will put most people off because too many people want to believe there is no blood and guts involved in the processing.....their meat just appears packaged in the grocery store or butcher's case. Most everyone is just too removed from agriculture today.

Again, I didn't say it won't be biased. Her shows are always biased on her opinions of what should be aired. All I am saying is that I don't believe she would release a show based on a bias that SHE doesn't believe in. Of course it's biased, it's her show. I'm just saying that whatever it is that is aired, she stands behind, as opposed to other shows that will air (sell out) to whatever is the latest craze, whether or not they believe in it.

Also, there is a big difference between the reality of "blood and guts involved in processing" as you say, and the inappropriate treatment that often happens towards the animals and resulting meat sold to unsuspecting consumers. Not properly killing the animals with accurate swiftness resulting in pain and suffering, unsanitary conditions, such as when a side of beef is dropped into the urine and feces trough, then picked up and hung back on the hook without so much as rinsing it off, etc. There is a grotesque side of the meat processing industry that many people are not aware of, other than the reality of normal butchering and slaughter. I agree that most people are far removed from agriculture and have little awareness of the realities involved. People often say "they don't want to know". They just want to eat their steak in blissful ignorance. Totally their prerogative.

I don't know what this show will be about. My only point is that I don't think she'll air anything that she doesn't believe in and/or was educated on before deciding to air. And again, this comes from a person who is not particularly an Oprah fan. I just believe that she has integrity and is mindful of what she chooses to air for ethical reasons.

Back
Top Bottom